Couple of Edison questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Couple of Edison questions

Post by FellowCollector »

Lucius1958 wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean. On my Standard B, the boss is part of the bedplate: there is no way I can sneak a belt or O-ring past it without removing the upper pulley from the mandrel shaft, and then removing the mandrel & shaft.
Bill,

I'm guessing that you're confusing a Standard model C, D, E or F from your collection that may be in an early "tall" Edison Standard cabinet. A Standard model B has the end gate which can open easily to allow entry of a finished belt or O-ring. And the casting boss is to the left side of the mandrel and mandrel pulley as I'd mentioned earlier (and confirmed with Oliver's prior comments).

Below is a picture of an Edison Standard model B (which is the model that the originator has questions on) from my collection. You can see that a belt or O-ring can be easily positioned around the mandrel and through the hole under the upper pulley to reach the motor drive pulley.

May we see a picture of your Edison Standard model B?

Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
IMG_1258.JPG

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Couple of Edison questions

Post by Lucius1958 »

FellowCollector wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean. On my Standard B, the boss is part of the bedplate: there is no way I can sneak a belt or O-ring past it without removing the upper pulley from the mandrel shaft, and then removing the mandrel & shaft.
Bill,

I'm guessing that you're confusing a Standard model C, D, E or F from your collection that may be in an early "tall" Edison Standard cabinet. A Standard model B has the end gate which can open easily to allow entry of a finished belt or O-ring. And the casting boss is to the left side of the mandrel and mandrel pulley as I'd mentioned earlier (and confirmed with Oliver's prior comments).

Below is a picture of an Edison Standard model B (which is the model that the originator has questions on) from my collection. You can see that a belt or O-ring can be easily positioned around the mandrel and through the hole under the upper pulley to reach the motor drive pulley.

May we see a picture of your Edison Standard model B?

Thanks,
Doug
Yes, it's a model B.

My apologies: I had never even thought of slipping the belt in that way...

I had been used to the thought (extrapolating from my Home and my Columbia AT) of there being some obstruction between the mandrel and the belt pulley; and I never stopped to consider, when I replaced the belt on my Standard. :oops:

Bill