Victrola motor governor play

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Victrola motor governor play

Post by CharliePhono »

We've all been told/taught that there must be a bit of play in the governor of the Victor spring motor to run properly and smoothly. I've just finished the rebuild on the motor in my VV-4-7, and while remounting the governor, the question arose in my mind as to how much play is enough or too much? I've heard various comments on this, varying from being able to move the governor assembly back and forth, somewhat loosely, between the two pivot points to almost imperceptible play between said two points.

What say ye? I think I've got it right, but it does seem perhaps a smidge too tight with essentially no play, even though the motor runs smoothly.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola motor governor play

Post by OrthoFan »

For the past 30 years or so, I've always adjusted the governors the same way -- with no detectable side-play or "shake" -- and (KNOCK WOOD) they've always run smoothly.

I'd say, if the governor starts spinning after a couple of turns of the crank and/or the turntable starts to spin after three to eight turns of the crank, you're okay.

OrthoFan

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Victrola motor governor play

Post by CharliePhono »

OrthoFan wrote:I'd say, if the governor starts spinning after a couple of turns of the crank and/or the turntable starts to spin after three to eight turns of the crank, you're okay.

OrthoFan
That was the reason behind my readjusting the governor to have a minuscule amount of play; not slop, but a very slight back-and-forth movement. And by slight, I mean almost imperceptible. After the first reassembly, after winding the crank over 20 turns the turntable would slowly begin to rotate. With the latter adjustment, it now takes off after about 5 turns. Thanks, O.F.