help in identifing RCA special model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

help in identifing RCA special model

Post by tomb »

As far as I know RCA made three different John Vassos special order phonographs. Can anybody let me know what Vassos model this is. It does not seem as common as the rest. Thanks Tom B
Attachments
Screenshot (216).png

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: help in identifing RCA special model

Post by OrthoFan »

Here are some more detailed photos:
1$_57.JPG
2$_57.JPG
More available here --
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/vintage-old-rca- ... 568ea60f11
---------------------------------------------

I thought it might be a model L which had a fabric covered case, but this, apparently is the model L --
1s-l1600.jpg
2s-l1600.jpg
FROM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-VASSOS-RCA ... 7675.l2557

I'll keep looking...

OrthoFan

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks Ortho Fan. So many times the list a machine and do not list the model. If they had lifted up the top it is plainly marked .. Oh well I Think I brought the green one last week. It is a model L. A am waiting for a battery to test it. I think I over paid for it though. If it runs I will break even Tom B

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

As far as I know, the two "Holy Grail" John Vassos machines are the polished aluminum silver Model K and the red Model M, which are considered to be mid 1930s industrial art and are exhibited in art museums worldwide. Also, from that time period, another crossover art piece is the stained glass RCA Radioglo radio... I had a chance to buy a Model M RCA Special several years ago for $2,100, which may or may not have been a good deal, since I am not familiar with the current market.
Attachments
John_Vassos._RCA_Victor_Special_Model_K,_Portable_Electric_Phonograph,_ca._1935.jpg
phonograph-rca-victor-special-model-m-john-vassos.jpg
radioglo green  2.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

About 20 years ago, I bought the poor man's version, produced by Paillard and sold by department stores in the late 1930s. I was told by the seller that mine was originally purchased at Macy's in San Francisco --
Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG
It shares certain features with the John Vassos models--in addition to the chrome plated motor-board--such as the booklet holder, and receptacles for the needles, etc.

OF

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

tomb wrote:As far as I know RCA made three different John Vassos special order phonographs. Can anybody let me know what Vassos model this is. It does not seem as common as the rest. Thanks Tom B
It's a Model "J", I have one on the bench right now.

Chuck

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

thanks Chuck I knew they made models K,L, and M and now J. I wonder if Jon Vasso made more for RCA, or model J is his first with model M being the last. They seem to get fancier as the model number gets higher. I need to PM you about the amplifier on my model L. How do you get the turn table off. I need to fix the brake. I did not want to apply too much pressure on it. I took off the screw and rapped on it but no go. It has a plastic insert on the shaft and it is starting to break up. I did not want to put too much oil on the shaft so I would not stain the felt on the turn table. Tom B