Original Clark Johnson/Berliner Reproducer Found

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Original Clark Johnson/Berliner Reproducer Found

Post by Django »

It wasn't cheap, but I won an ebay auction today for an original Clark Johnson Sound Box. I think that I did good, (I hope so anyway). It should clean up and present well and add value to my Berliner. It needs a rebuild, new thumb screw and a guard.

Does anyone know the thumb screw's thread?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
CJ1.jpg
CJ4.jpg
cj2.jpg
cj.jpg

Django
Victor IV

Re: Original Clark Johnson/Berliner Reproducer Found

Post by Django »

Before this drifts off forever, I just wanted state something that others may or may not relate to.

I was excited when I saw this on ebay because the real ones don't generally become available without an expensive machine attached. This one was not cheap, but the price seemed reasonable to me and the value that it would add to one of my Berliners was more than the starting price, so I knew that I would bid and that I would probably be outbid. There were no bids against me and I got it for well under my maximum bid. That is where the doubt creeps in. Others had to have seen it. I posted it on the auctions and craigslist section of this forum. It concerns me that I was not outbid and it makes me question if I did the right thing, or if I got lucky this time. I always wonder, did I miss something that scared others off? Did I overpay? Did everyone else blink? I don't know, but I'll have it in a few days and try to figure that out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Berliner-Sound- ... 2749.l2649

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I think you did well. I paid $100 more for one a year ago that's not quite as nice. Like you, I was happy to get it! :)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:I think you did well. I paid $100 more for one a year ago that's not quite as nice. Like you, I was happy to get it! :)

George P.
That's good to hear. I was very surprised to get it, and as always George, thank you for your input.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I thought it would have went for more too. If I needed one I may have bid on it. I guess there must not be anyone out there at this time that needs one.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

All my fears regarding authenticity were put to rest when I opened it up to change the diaphragm and seals. They looked as they should and had to be dug out. The sound box got a new diaphragm and seals, I replaced the thumb screw with one that I had and made a new guard for the stylus. This replaced the reproduction sound box on my over-restored European Berliner. It sounds pretty decent too, (all things being relative).
Attachments
IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Great setup. Thank you for sharing.