Berliner "Three Points Of Caution" Celluloid Tag

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Berliner "Three Points Of Caution" Celluloid Tag

Post by Django »

Ripduf1 wrote:The tag is 2 ¾" long by 13/16ths tall, probably only a 32nd thick. John
Thanks for the dimensions. That rules out piano keys. Old celluloid dresser sets are available on places like ebay for little money. Things like small trays of boxes would be good candidates. Celluloid is extremely flammable, so proceed with caution.

When working with early plastics you never know what the secret ingredients may be, so wear a mask or respirator and have plenty of ventilation.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Cream colored paper, hot laminated at an office supply store then cut to size, works and looks like original celluloid. I have made music box tags with it and other collectors can't tell the difference...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:Cream colored paper, hot laminated at an office supply store then cut to size, works and looks like original celluloid. I have made music box tags with it and other collectors can't tell the difference...
Great idea!!! Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I did something similar with an antique Strowger 11-digit dial phone. The original dial card was celluloid and in very poor condition. I was lucky to find an intact original but the numbers were faded (I went over them with a Sharpie) and it's curled and very brittle. I decided to make a replica printed on card stock and then laminated. It looks great. I keep both originals inside the phone for posterity.
Attachments
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I bought an old and damaged celluloid dresser set on ebay. There was a container with a lid, the container having a 1/32" thick bottom. I cut a 2.75 x .812 section out and added the holes and decal, top coated with shellac. I had to make my own brads. The machine is a very good Australian reproduction with a sound box that I made, so authenticity was already a non-issue. I like the look.
Attachments
2017-09-30 16.16.50.jpg
2017-09-30 16.16.35.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Looks very nice! How does the machine play? I have a reproduction reproducer on my authentic Berliner and I rebuilt the repro- repro using some of Mica Monster's tips and I am very happy with the volume and the sound of the repro- repro, actually. To me is sounds way better than an original, and I didn't need to be afraid to modify it. :D

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

gramophone-georg wrote:Looks very nice! How does the machine play? I have a reproduction reproducer on my authentic Berliner and I rebuilt the repro- repro using some of Mica Monster's tips and I am very happy with the volume and the sound of the repro- repro, actually. To me is sounds way better than an original, and I didn't need to be afraid to modify it. :D
The machine plays well and unlike the Japanese reproductions, it does not have metric threads on any of the fasteners. The motor is an exact copy of a real Berliner and plays through a 7" record with no problems.

Here is my home made Clark Johnson. It has a 1 5/16" diaphragm, the same as an original Clark Johnson uses and it has Edison C reproducer seals. I have a Canadian Berliner with a 1902 Berliner Automatic Sound Box and a European Berliner with an original Clark Johnson. They have all been rebuilt and none is much better than the other, but the Canadian Automatic probably wins out. I am not familiar with Mica Monster.
Attachments
IMG_0269.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

You don't know who Mica Monster is?? :o You infidel! :lol:

I'm talking about this reprobate:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/member ... file&u=221

I will hand it to you on that "lawn mower Berliner" restoration. That was quite epic, actually. I enjoyed following it.