Cygnet Horn question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
callron
Victor O

Cygnet Horn question

Post by callron »

I recently picked up an original Cygnet Horn for my Home 2/4 combo, with horizontal carriage.. The horn is in good shape physically but, or course, the paint is quite faded. Will repainting devalue the horn, and if I do repaint, should the original decals be masked off, or just replaced with new repros from Peru? Also, I will need to find a crane, hopefully, original, but if necessary, repro.

Any advice will be appreciated.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Cygnet Horn question

Post by EdisonWizard »

I think it comes down to your personal preference. I for instance prefer originality, preserving it in its original state; so some fading or scratches don’t another me much. If it’s too far gone then to preserve the piece I’ll get it restored back to what it would have been originally. I don’t really look at those items at that point as a source of value, as they have value to me.

If I was to get it repainted, I would send it to someone to specializes in painting the horns, and I’m sure they could direct you on what they would prefer on the labels!

I think ron sitko will be able to help you on the reproducer crane
J.F.

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

posting a photo would help

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I repainted a horn and it was a little difficult. I put new decals on it as the old ones were in bad shape. The hard part for me was straitening it. I did my best and got a lot of the 100 year old dings out of it. The other difficult part was putting the gold stripes and edging it. It took a while and now looks very good. My next project is a searchlight horn. It is rusted on 70% of the horn but not all the way thru. I am having a hard time getting motivated to do it . I have already brought the paint so one day I will get inspired. Tom B
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Looks good... it was a great candidate for repainting....
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

callron
Victor O

Post by callron »

Thank you J.F. and Tom B. for your replies and input. My Cygnet paint condition looks to be about the same as Tom's before he repainted. Tom's looks so good gloss black with the gold accents, it's hard to not want to do that. Still pondering, but leaning toward refinishing. I have ordered a crane from Ron Sitco and will make final decision after putting the horn on the phono and evaluating the look. Thanks again