My "Departed" Edison Gem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Yamaphone
Victor O

My "Departed" Edison Gem

Post by Yamaphone »

With the recent discussion about the practice of parting out machines, I thought I would show my most recent acquisition, even though I am not quite finished with it. The project started when I saw a really nice Model C Gem body casting for sale. For many years, I had a nice Gem horn, crane and a NOS four minute attachment and had been looking for a nice Model C Gem to display together. I bought the Gem casting in the event that I might eventually buy a machine that had a less than satisfactory paint/striping appearance. The body casting turned out to be really nice and I was very glad to get it. Later more of the parts came up for sale and I got them too, again finding them to be very nice. Long story short, I bought all the parts and reassembled the Gem! Of course, I questioned if I was paying too much for a machine acquired in this manner and maybe I did but I am very happy with my decision and anyway, I have had my share of good luck in acquiring great finds.
Dan Z.
Attachments
Departed Edison Gem 021.JPG
Departed Edison Gem 017.JPG
Departed Edison Gem 016.JPG
Departed Edison Gem 015.JPG

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: My "Departed" Edison Gem

Post by Phono-Phan »

Nice looking Gem!! Patience pays off.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very pretty! Those Model Cs don't turn up very often.

Thank goodness for parts suppliers! ;)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

My favorite Edison. Yours looks great.

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

I wanted to add that all the parts for the Gem came from the same seller so I am confident that they all started out together. The only part that hasn't been offered yet is the proper mandrel shaft. Maybe someone else got that part.
Dan