Victrola XVI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victrola XVI

Post by Jerry B. »

We all have a different acceptance to restored or refinished machines. I have my own preferences. It's an argument that has no winner.

Jerry Blais

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
briankeith wrote:
audiophile102 wrote:I'm partial to machines with the original finish intact. It is quite beautiful, but I would have to let it go. It's only original once.
I agree...
So would thin or nonexistent shellac in spots, scratches, watermarks, and alligatoring be considered "original"? If so, how? Just curious.
I expressed my own preference. To each his own. My Sonora does have some alligatoring on the doors. See the doors for yourself and consider what you would do. I wouldn't dream of removing the finish. I don't think I would have purchased the Sonora in the first place had it suffered from excessive damage, but everyone has their own tolerance and abilities to make restoration repairs. Restore when possible, but refinishing is something I will avoid. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21672
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

audiophile102 wrote:

I expressed my own preference. To each his own. My Sonora does have some alligatoring on the doors. See the doors for yourself and consider what you would do. I wouldn't dream of removing the finish. I don't think I would have purchased the Sonora in the first place had it suffered from excessive damage, but everyone has their own tolerance and abilities to make restoration repairs. Restore when possible, but refinishing is something I will avoid. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21672
Understood about your own preference but considering the ravages of time to be somehow "original" has always puzzled me. It's the same thing in the classic car world... some people roll cars covered in surface rust and "patina" because "it's only original once".

Then there are the ones that will clear coat the "patina" to preserve the "originality". Those make a cuckoo clock sound in my head. :lol:

But seriously... overrestored? No. That's even worse, esp. when shiny shellac and polyurethane were never original to begin with. But if one researches in order to do it right to preserve originality, that's great. I think this Victrola falls into that category. The fact that it appears to have been refinished correctly is even more "original" to me than wear.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VictorXIa
Victor Jr

Post by VictorXIa »

Django wrote:Just a couple questions. Where is the machine located? Do you know what it is finished with? You will have to consider freight rates if is is far away.

Thanks
This Victrola is about 20 minutes south from me and as I said, I know the guy selling it. I have talked to him about other machines and I actually bought one from him before. I don't know what it was finished with, but I am hoping to go check it out this Sunday, so I will be able to be a better judge of the machine after giving it a good look over! I guess I should make some room just in case! :D -Nick

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

To me, this machine was refinished right. It looks like it came from the factory. I don't know the history of the machine. If this would have been high gloss polyurethane or Formby's, stay away from it.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

How about this one? It's original. Leave it this way? I think I'll give it some good history.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8ab.jpeg

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Jerry B. wrote:How about this one? It's original. Leave it this way? I think I'll give it some good history.

Jerry Blais
It looks pretty beat up, but so do many others that have been beautifully restored by members of this forum. I place a value on a project machine much lower than one with an intact original finish. I don't have the skills to recreate the finish of a 100+ year old antique. I have seen excellent examples of refinished machines that looked original. I saw a recreated cabinet at a meeting of the Wisconsin - Illinois Musical Antique Phonograph Society that could easily pass as original, however it's owner found a genuine refinishing artist Most look to my eyes like they just came off a modern assembly line except under the lid which frequently avoids the refinisher's stripper. It's the lifting of the lid that would reveal what was lost. Your Modernola project looks quite daunting, but those machines are so rare and beautiful your restoration expenses will be well worth the cost. Best of luck Jerry. :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Markola
Victor Jr

Post by Markola »

Jerry B. wrote:How about this one? It's original. Leave it this way? I think I'll give it some good history.

Jerry Blais
That one's going to look SO GOOD once it's restored to, well... maybe not "factory new," but to what one would look like had it been in a home where it was used but lovingly cared for.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Jerry Blais
A diamond in the rough.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Back on topic. That's a good deal and if you like the L door XVI machines and have room, then I wouldn't hesitate. I know that I would grab it.