Spring Assemblies for Columbia B and AB interchangeable???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Spring Assemblies for Columbia B and AB interchangeable???

Post by uncle-jimmy »

The Spring Assemblies (Housing and springs) look awfully similar on the Columbia AB Macdonald and the Model B Eagle, but are they interchangeable?
Thanks Guys.
Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Spring Assemblies for Columbia B and AB interchangeable?

Post by phonogfp »

The mainsprings and barrels are interchangeable, but those on the AB are polished nickel, while those on nearly all Bs are plain nickel.

George P.

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Post by uncle-jimmy »

Ahaaa....Thank you very much George.But that begs the question....Can Plain nickel be polished up with some Nickel Polish, a buffing wheel and plenty of Elbow Grease. Or is Polished Nickel a whole different Animal?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

uncle-jimmy wrote:Ahaaa....Thank you very much George.But that begs the question....Can Plain nickel be polished up with some Nickel Polish, a buffing wheel and plenty of Elbow Grease. Or is Polished Nickel a whole different Animal?
On the spring barrels (because they're smooth sheet steel), it might be possible to polish the nickel to a mirror finish - but there's always the risk of polishing through the plating. (On brushed steel parts such as the motor plates, you'd need to smooth the metal, plate it, then polish it.) I've never tried polishing the spring barrels, but I don't suppose there's any harm in trying as long as you don't go into the base metal. Being tabbed, they will need to be disassembled so the entire surface is accessible.

Good luck!

George P.

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Post by uncle-jimmy »

Thank You George. I appreciate the help.
Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Glad to help. One thing I should stress is that only the tabbed spring barrels are appropriate for the AB. The earlier Eagle spring barrels (secured by two plates) were phased out in 1898; replaced by the tabbed barrels. Since the AB didn't appear until 1901, the plate-type barrels would anachronistic on it.

Best of luck -

George P.