Edison Standard A serial number lookup

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Columbia78
Victor I

Edison Standard A serial number lookup

Post by Columbia78 »

I've seen a number of requests here for manufacture dates of these machines, and I know there are no records anymore, but was wondering if possibly Martin or George might know anything about the dates the machines might have left the factory on these two I have:

S 140962 (1898 patent date)
S 188018 (1903 patent date)

Many thanks in advance for any insight---

Jim

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Edison Standard A serial number lookup

Post by tomb »

There are a lot of questions on this subject and is there a way that this information could be generalized and posted like the Victor Victrola set up.??? It probably would not be an exact as Edison did different thing with the sequences but is there a way they can be guestimated that would be close or 95% correct??? Maybe it could be posted in our quarterly magazine. Just a thought. Tom B

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

I hesitated to ask here because I know there are lots of requests of this kind, but I exhausted all the online sources where I might find out without having to ask. I have a natural curiosity about any machine I find, and thought I'd give it a shot. I apologize if it's repetitive.

Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

No need to hesitate - I'm happy to help when I can. :)

Original sales data exists for Edison Phonographs and Records from 1897 through may 1908. I've explained my situation before, and for those who have not yet read it, here it is:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... nd#p170025

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... nd#p188421

Edison Standard No.140962 left the factory about March 1904.

Edison Standard No.188018 left the factory about December 1904.

George P.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

phonogfp wrote:No need to hesitate - I'm happy to help when I can. :)

Original sales data exists for Edison Phonographs and Records from 1897 through may 1908. I've explained my situation before, and for those who have not yet read it, here it is:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... nd#p170025

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... nd#p188421

Edison Standard No.140962 left the factory about March 1904.

Edison Standard No.188018 left the factory about December 1904.

George P.
George,

Thank you for looking it up for me. Greatly appreciated! I was thinking the one with the 1898 patent date was much earlier. I guess they changed that date mid year in 1904 then.

Best wishes---

Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Columbia78 wrote:
George,

Thank you for looking it up for me. Greatly appreciated! I was thinking the one with the 1898 patent date was much earlier. I guess they changed that date mid year in 1904 then.

Best wishes---

Jim
You're quite welcome, Jim. You'll find that patent dates on data plates is not a good way to date machines. Lots of people "date" their Victrolas as 1906 for that reason - even though the machine may be from the 1920s. Important patent dates tended to be listed on machines (and records) for years before being succeeded by another.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

George beat me to the punch. I pretty much nailed the date for 188018, but missed the other one by 5 months (probably a math error).

Tom - if you would like to try your hand at guesstimating, it can be done using the Standard Data sheet. It takes about 10 minutes or so because you'll have to scan the notes for known dates (courtesy George P.)or you'll have to look for feature changes that go with known dates. (Example: New style case introduced in November 1901.)

Find a serial number before your target that has a date. I used 171973 (Oct. 1904). Next find a serial after your target. I used 240416 (Oct. 1905). Subtract the serial numbers between the two to get the total number machines produced (68503). Count the months between dates. (12) divide machines produced by number of months (68503 divided by 12= 5708) and that will give you your monthly production. Next take your serial number 188018 and subtract the first known serial number (188018-171973= 16045) and this will give you the machines produced from the first known date. Next divide number of machines (16045) by the monthly production number (5708) and you'll get months elapsed (2.8). And a fun time was had by all...

FYI: here's a link for the latest data sheet.
Edison_Std_Data_09_30_17.xls
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 872 times
Regards,
Martin

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

martinola wrote:George beat me to the punch. I pretty much nailed the date for 188018, but missed the other one by 5 months (probably a math error).

Tom - if you would like to try your hand at guesstimating, it can be done using the Standard Data sheet. It takes about 10 minutes or so because you'll have to scan the notes for known dates (courtesy George P.)or you'll have to look for feature changes that go with known dates. (Example: New style case introduced in November 1901.)

Find a serial number before your target that has a date. I used 171973 (Oct. 1904). Next find a serial after your target. I used 240416 (Oct. 1905). Subtract the serial numbers between the two to get the total number machines produced (68503). Count the months between dates. (12) divide machines produced by number of months (68503 divided by 12= 5708) and that will give you your monthly production. Next take your serial number 188018 and subtract the first known serial number (188018-171973= 16045) and this will give you the machines produced from the first known date. Next divide number of machines (16045) by the monthly production number (5708) and you'll get months elapsed (2.8). And a fun time was had by all...

FYI: here's a link for the latest data sheet.
The attachment Edison_Std_Data_09_30_17.xls is no longer available
Regards,
Martin
Thank you both again for this information! It's good to know. The two data plates are different styles, with different patent dates, but the machines themselves are almost identical, except that the newer one came with the shaver.

Jim
Attachments
new2.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Martin I printed out the standard data sheet about a year ago.. Has it changed much from that??? I think George published an article on data plates in the PBS and maybe that with your list it could give some good information. With your spread sheet It took about five pages to go across to print all the info. Took a ink cartridge and a ream of paper. Can that be used on the homes too???? This may take me a while as I am not a fast mover. Two thing George: can I use that data with out infringing as I had to change some stuff on the RCA info, and do you have a possible date when the book will come out. ???? I understand that anything printed before 1925 is not copyrighted. Tom B

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Look at the plate as to how the eights are made. they look like an S with a line thru it. Tom B