Why does Edison B-60 have curved slots on motorboard?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Why does Edison B-60 have curved slots on motorboard?

Post by marcapra »

I was wondering why the Edison B-60 lidless table top DD phonograph, which I just acquired, has two curved slots in the motorboard in back of the turntable? Maybe someone like George Paul, Wyatt Markus, or Uncle Vanya could surely answer this question. Thanks, Marc.
Attachments
b-60.jpeg
b-60b.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Why does Edison B-60 have curved slots on motorboard?

Post by phonogfp »

One of Victor's patent claims for internal-horn machines included a closed-off motor compartment (I believe one of the terms used at the time was "dust free.") When patent attorney Delos Holden advised the Edison folks on design of the first Amberolas (and subsequently the Edison Disc Phonographs), he made a point of cautioning them on that claim. The result was Amberola and Disc mechanisms mounted with removable wooden framing or metal grilles. I suspect the curved slots on the "60" Disc Phonographs were there to keep clear of violating that claim. Ditto with the cloth-backed grillework on the "80" models.

George P.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

....what George said!!!!! :P
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks George, I was clueless. Jerry B.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks guys! Boy, those Victor patents were strict! But I like the look of the top grilles on Edisons anyway. Marc.

Rexophone
Victor I

Post by Rexophone »

Marc,

Unrelated comment but I thought of it as I was admiring your nice photos. In case you have not noticed that hole adjacent to the spindle on the turntable is an oil hole. It is the only way to oil the upper bearing other than loosening the pulley and removing the turntable and connected shaft.

Steve

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

thanks Steve. yes I know that since my tech guy told me about that. One thing you have to know when you buy one of these B-60 or B-80 machines is that you can't just pull off the turntable like on other DD machines because of the pulley mechanism on the bottom. So they had to put an off-center spindle hole for oiling purposes there.