Before and After, Your Proudest Salvage Machines Projects

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Before and After, Your Proudest Salvage Machines Projects

Post by Django »

There was an off-topic conversation debating whether to restore or leave original and if one could live with a repaired machine and knowing of it's flaws. Having recently brought a machine back from the brink, that machine now being my favorite because of our journey together, I was hoping people would post some before and after photos of their most challenging projects.

Please forgive me if this has been done before. I have not been a member of this forum for a very long time.
Last edited by Django on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Before and After, Your Proudest Salvage Machines Project

Post by Jerry B. »

Here's a machine that is special to me. It's a VV-XVI with a special factory gold leaf finish. I was tempted to write that it has a "Vernis Martin" finish but I believe all Vernis Martin Victrolas had classical artwork in addition to the gold leaf. I would appreciate comments about the term "Vernis Martin" and send a PM if it's too off topic. Regardless, I've always wanted something unusual and this became available at Union a few years ago and I jumped at the opportunity. I've seen a handful of Vernis Martin Victrolas and all had classical art in the framed areas on the major cabinet pieces. As you can see from the before photos mine did not have the artwork and the restored said it never had the artwork. Sorry but I did no do the restoration on this Victrola but I did orchestrate the restoration. ;) At Union the machine looked a bit tired. You can see that the lacquer and gold was not attractive and a good deal of the framed pieces were missing. The lacquer was flaking off and it looked gold. People actually picked up the flaked bits.

This machine was not totally restored. The area under the lid is original while the exterior finish was re-guilded and the color looks good. I think the color differences of the two photos was due to different lighting, etc.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Jerry,

If I may ask, how did the restorer salvage the finish? Was it simply a matter of putting new lacquer over the existing paint, or, dare I say, gold leaf?

Garret

BwanaJoe
Victor II

Post by BwanaJoe »

Wow, very golden! Were they originally that bright a gold color?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

If I may ask, how did the restorer salvage the finish? Was it simply a matter of putting new lacquer over the existing paint, or, dare I say, gold leaf?

Garret
The complete exterior of the finish was re-guilded and it is very bright just like the original leaf on the inside of the lid. We were in the path of the solar eclipse and, for fun, I saved the special safety solar glasses to be offered to anyone looking at this Victrola. :shock:

Jerry B.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Having seen this machine before the restoration in person I must say it seems impossible for it to look so wonderful. I don't know much about such machines but it sure seems to be the same as any Vernis Martin without a painting. And under the lid the decal is the same as the VMs I've seen. Perhaps the original owner just wanted a gold machine without all the painting on it. Who knows. In any case it is lovely and a great thing to have in your collection.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Here is a project that took a lot of patience and a little more money that I wanted but the finished machine was worth ever minute.

This is a 1912 Columbia Grand Grafonola which was little more than barn wood when I started. I had to re-venier most of the exterior, rewired the motor, found a carver to repair the legs and a second carver to redo the custom trims, and lost count at 36 layers of lacquer for the french polished look.

Bruce
Attachments
Grand 01.JPG
Grand 02.JPG
Col Grnd.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Bruce, Great restoration! And I enjoy seeing other pieces in your collection. Jerry

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Bruce wrote:Here is a project that took a lot of patience and a little more money that I wanted but the finished machine was worth ever minute.

This is a 1912 Columbia Grand Grafonola which was little more than barn wood when I started. I had to re-venier most of the exterior, rewired the motor, found a carver to repair the legs and a second carver to redo the custom trims, and lost count at 36 layers of lacquer for the french polished look.

Bruce
It's great to see something that most people would discard be brought back so beautifully. Both machines posted so far are exceptional and were almost lost forever. These are true labors of love and respect.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Jerry B. wrote:Here's a machine that is special to me. It's a VV-XVI with a special factory gold leaf finish. I was tempted to write that it has a "Vernis Martin" finish but I believe all Vernis Martin Victrolas had classical artwork in addition to the gold leaf. I would appreciate comments about the term "Vernis Martin" and send a PM if it's too off topic. Regardless, I've always wanted something unusual and this became available at Union a few years ago and I jumped at the opportunity. I've seen a handful of Vernis Martin Victrolas and all had classical art in the framed areas on the major cabinet pieces. As you can see from the before photos mine did not have the artwork and the restored said it never had the artwork. Sorry but I did no do the restoration on this Victrola but I did orchestrate the restoration. ;) At Union the machine looked a bit tired. You can see that the lacquer and gold was not attractive and a good deal of the framed pieces were missing. The lacquer was flaking off and it looked gold. People actually picked up the flaked bits.

This machine was not totally restored. The area under the lid is original while the exterior finish was re-guilded and the color looks good. I think the color differences of the two photos was due to different lighting, etc.

Jerry Blais
Wow! That turned out very nice. I haven't seen it since the restoration.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8