Exportation vs Exhibition Reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Exportation vs Exhibition Reproducers

Post by brianu »

I've got an exportation reproducer, for the life of me I can't recall where I found it, but I figured I may as well rebuild it... it's basically an exhibition reproducer, same size, etc, but obviously the back is different... it has three screw holes rather than two for the flange. I was wondering whether these three hole flanges might be available somewhere or if I should just use a new exhibition flange, drill the two extra holes through the rubber and fill the extra original. Has anyone rebuilt one of these?
Attachments
IMG_7070.JPG
IMG_7071.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Exportation vs Exhibition Reproducers

Post by Jerry B. »

I've always thought that the Exportation and other knock of Exhibitions were pirated copies made out the States and out of reach of the long arm of the Victor Legal Department. Other thoughts? Jerry Blais

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

The Exhibition certainly had lots of imitators in Europe. I think the three-screw mount was a good idea.
- bill

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

As Jerry says, the Exportation was made in Germany/Switzerland and a blatant copy of the Exhibition. It is relatively easy to find in Europe, so if you are really looking for one it may be better to look up German ebay and buy a complete one instead of building a Frankenbox.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CarlosV wrote:As Jerry says, the Exportation was made in Germany/Switzerland and a blatant copy of the Exhibition. It is relatively easy to find in Europe, so if you are really looking for one it may be better to look up German ebay and buy a complete one instead of building a Frankenbox.
I'm wondering if that was a German thing... with the outbreak of hostilities in WW1 the Germans just Bogarted all sorts of things they really didn't have rights to as spoils of war. This might be the reproducer they Bogarted to play the Opera Disc records they pressed from stolen HMV masters.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

gramophone-georg wrote:
CarlosV wrote:As Jerry says, the Exportation was made in Germany/Switzerland and a blatant copy of the Exhibition. It is relatively easy to find in Europe, so if you are really looking for one it may be better to look up German ebay and buy a complete one instead of building a Frankenbox.
I'm wondering if that was a German thing... with the outbreak of hostilities in WW1 the Germans just Bogarted all sorts of things they really didn't have rights to as spoils of war. This might be the reproducer they Bogarted to play the Opera Disc records they pressed from stolen HMV masters.
The Exposition was another Exhibition look-alike of European origin.

A lot of "enemy" property changed hands during WW1. The Germans seized the Gramophone Company's assets in Germany and sold them to Polyphon, and the British seized the Lindstrom group's assets in Britain. That is how some of John McCormack's Odeon recordings came to be re-issued on the UK Columbia and Regal labels in the early 1920's.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I am not sure about the relationship of the exhibition copy with WWI. There are examples of copies of Columbia and Edison phonographs made by Pathé and others in France well before the war. My guess is that the patents filed in the US were not easy to enforce in Europe (British Empire excluded), so local entrepreneurs had an easy time copying and retagging. Also the exhibition by the war time was outdated, so probably these copies were made before its outbreak.
Last edited by CarlosV on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Even on another Exportation reproducer from Europe the rubber back flange would be hardened and have to be replaced. Since I am not aware of any 3 hole rubber back flanges there are only two options: use and Exhibition back flange and drill/fill holes as needed, or build your own back flange from silicone like Mica Monster described in another thread recently. I have done the drill and fill with another Swiss reproducer with the same three hole setup and it worked like a charm.

Andreas

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

alang wrote:
Even on another Exportation reproducer from Europe the rubber back flange would be hardened and have to be replaced. Since I am not aware of any 3 hole rubber back flanges there are only two options: use and Exhibition back flange and drill/fill holes as needed, or build your own back flange from silicone like Mica Monster described in another thread recently. I have done the drill and fill with another Swiss reproducer with the same three hole setup and it worked like a charm.

Andreas
You're correct, Andreas, I mistakenly thought you intended to drill holes on the back of the reproducer. A rubber flange can easily be drilled as you say. I don't like the ones for sale, though, I bought from two sources and they all seem too hard for proper tracking. Probably making one out of silicone would be a better solution.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

CarlosV wrote:
alang wrote:

Andreas
You're correct, Andreas, I mistakenly thought you intended to drill holes on the back of the reproducer. A rubber flange can easily be drilled as you say. I don't like the ones for sale, though, I bought from two sources and they all seem too hard for proper tracking. Probably making one out of silicone would be a better solution.

Thanks for all the comments... and yes, it's only the rubber mount/flange I'm talking about obtaining or altering... I'm really not interested in franken-anything, let alone creating such garbage myself.