Columbia Graphophone Model AH Centre Crank

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SydneyAde
Victor I

Columbia Graphophone Model AH Centre Crank

Post by SydneyAde »

Hi again folks

I recently acquired a good cabinet for a Columbia AH (1903) with a centred crank, not offset as in the earlier 1902 AH. I think I went into this project rather blindly, given I fell in love with the cabinet, not thinking about how scarce and expensive parts would be to come by. Nevertheless, if it turns out that I only restore the cabinet, so be it, as I have enough other projects to keep me busy.

I have read through past threads on this forum and I see a 2016 post from another member who mentions that in the restoration of his 1902 AH (same elaborate cabinet design with offset crank) he was able to obtain the support arm and travelling arm from a fellow who owns the original casting patterns for those parts. I am wondering if forum members would know if the person who owns the patterns, still casts and sells those parts on an as needed basis?

To date I have a cabinet, turntable and support arm mounting bracket. I’m not in any huge hurry to complete this, but thought I’d strike while the iron is hot, as well as keeping an eye open for other bits and pieces at reasonable prices. I might get advice on whether or not I should keep the original decals, but that will depend on how clean I can get the cabinet without damaging them. The decals were in much better condition than pictured on the Ebay add.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards Ade