What the Heck Did I Just Buy?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shane
Victor II

What the Heck Did I Just Buy?

Post by Shane »

So I gave into temptation and bought this thing at a antique fair today. I don't see a name anywhere on the cabinet. There's a patents sticker on the bottom which is mostly wiped out and unreadable. The cabinet, crank, and platter make me think Columbia or Columbia client. The placement of the turntable, halfway hanging off the side of the cabinet, is weird.

The tonearm and reproducer are obviously Frankensteined in there, totally wrong for the machine. The reproducer says E. Toman Number 3, and has a cool seashell type design.

Any thoughts on this one? I'm curious as to what brand the machine might be, and what type of tonearm might be appropriate. Thanks in advance!
phonoA.JPG
phonoB.JPG

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: What the Heck Did I Just Buy?

Post by Lucius1958 »

I can't get to my copy of the Columbia book right now; but this is their ultra-cheap "scheme" machine (I forget the name: "Marvel"?), designed as a give-away for retailers...

Bill

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, it'[s the "Marvel", a scheme or give away machine. If the turntable is 10" or smaller, that's correct. The arm is a simple straight one with a bayonet fitting for an unmarked Grafonola type. I don't have my book readily available, either. These are scarce machines. These were thrown out by the dozens when they quit working. It looks to be in decent shape. You have a good start for a nice restoration.
Harvey Kravitz
Lucius1958 wrote:I can't get to my copy of the Columbia book right now; but this is their ultra-cheap "scheme" machine (I forget the name: "Marvel"?), designed as a give-away for retailers...

Bill

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Thank you for the info! Off to look at some pictures online.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The same reproducer, though re-branded, was used on Sears Tru-Phonic models starting around 1926, in addition to other off-brand machines, so you can probably recoup some of your investment by selling it if you don't have a use for it.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I recognized the brake/speed control as a Columbia product even though I did not recognize the model. I think the columbia machines with their endless variations are one of the fascinating areas of early phonographs.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

I have a machine where the turntable would be too large for the cabinet (if there was a turntable). It is definitely not a Columbia, though. It is a rear mount external horn disc machine with an Edison cylinder phonograph type motor. this machine has been discussed on another thread, just thought it was weird because the turntable would hang over the edge like the one discussed here. It also has no markings.

Cliff
Attachments
BigStandardMotor_Ebay2c.jpg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

I'm seeing a Marvel in an old thread I linked below. Problem is, the picture doesn't give a very good idea of the design of the reproducer and mounting of the tonearm. If anyone has any better pictures or suggestions as to what this thing is supposed to look like, please let me know.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=30179

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Shane, that's my Marvel - note the speed control / on-off location. (nothing up top)
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

I noticed that speed control. I guess there are variations on these machines? Any chance you might have a photo of the front of your reproducer? I'm trying to figure out what would be appropriate for my machine. Thanks.