The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Pellicano Treasures
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
All,
I have a Victor Orthophonic reproducer where the 2 fine prongs that connect the diaphragm to the needle bar tip are missing. They usually get soldered onto the diaphragm center. Is there a way to repair this with some wire type or will a new needle bar be needed? Also, any tricks to removing the tone arm gasket from the reproducer? Probably been on there for 90 years lol.
Thanks all!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Pellicano Treasures
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
I was told I need a new needle bar. I have the reproducer all apart but does anyone know the trick to removing the pivot bars?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
pellicano1 wrote:
I was told I need a new needle bar. I have the reproducer all apart but does anyone know the trick to removing the pivot bars?



You need to press the pivot pin out of the needle bar to remove it. It requires a small metal tube that you slip over the pivot pin on one end, and a small punch to drive out the pin from the other end. The pin is driven into the tube, which supports the needle bar body. All the while, be sure to not put any pressure on the reproducer housing itself, especially if it's pot metal. Reverse the process to reinstall. It's all very easy and only requires you to have 3 or 4 hands. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 2537
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Begs another question: why are the two "legs" broken-off ? :o

Often this occurs when the index-lug of the back-plate has broken-off / disintegrated, allowing the back-plate and diaphragm to rotate with the spanner ring, and the two needle-bar legs twist around themselves like a bread-tie, until they snap-off.

I have a couple of OSBs where this is what happened.

I am wondering if there is a way to silver-solder new legs to the needle-bar, and then soft-solder to the eyelet in the spider ?

Make sure you back-plate locks to the front cover before reassembly, so that things can't "spin" and do damage.

:coffee:
De Soto Frank


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Pellicano Treasures
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Thanks guys!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Pellicano Treasures
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
De Soto Frank wrote:
Begs another question: why are the two "legs" broken-off ? :o

Often this occurs when the index-lug of the back-plate has broken-off / disintegrated, allowing the back-plate and diaphragm to rotate with the spanner ring, and the two needle-bar legs twist around themselves like a bread-tie, until they snap-off.

I have a couple of OSBs where this is what happened.

I am wondering if there is a way to silver-solder new legs to the needle-bar, and then soft-solder to the eyelet in the spider ?

Make sure you back-plate locks to the front cover before reassembly, so that things can't "spin" and do damage.

:coffee:

There has to be I would think, replacement metal. After all your soldering it to the diaphragm why not the needle bar as well? The question is what type of metal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 2537
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
The needle-bar itself is steel, the lever-part that ends in the two "legs" that solder into the eyelet of he spider is sheet-steel, that is formed and drawn into a tapering trough that is peened / crimped into the needle-bar, and ends as the two "wire legs" at the other end.


Not sure what suggest as a repair material... it needs to be strong and light, as well as solderable.
De Soto Frank


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 am 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI
pellicano1 wrote:
De Soto Frank wrote:
Begs another question: why are the two "legs" broken-off ? :o

Often this occurs when the index-lug of the back-plate has broken-off / disintegrated, allowing the back-plate and diaphragm to rotate with the spanner ring, and the two needle-bar legs twist around themselves like a bread-tie, until they snap-off.

I have a couple of OSBs where this is what happened.

I am wondering if there is a way to silver-solder new legs to the needle-bar, and then soft-solder to the eyelet in the spider ?

Make sure you back-plate locks to the front cover before reassembly, so that things can't "spin" and do damage.

:coffee:

There has to be I would think, replacement metal. After all your soldering it to the diaphragm why not the needle bar as well? The question is what type of metal?



The type of metal isn't too important, as long as you can solder it. Steel or brass would be o.k.

As far as soldering the replacement tabs to the arm, as you reason, that's easier said than done. Yes, while everything is apart, you can solder some new tips on the arm. Then, with the reproducer reassembled, working in a very confined spot, you will attempt to solder the tips to the diaphragm. What will happen is that when the tips are hot enough to solder to the diaphragm, they are also hot enough to unsolder from the arm and will just fall off. That's why Frank suggested silver soldering the tip in place. Silver solder has a higher melting point than lead solder and won't melt away during attachment to the diaphragm. BTW, the "silver solder" they sell at Home Depot and the like is junk and really no different than lead solder. Even with an undamaged needle arm, soldering it to the diaphragm is a delicate and tedious affair.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 978
I will check my reproducer parts box and see if I have an extra complete needle bar assembly. If I do, I will pm you for your address and send it to you.

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victor Orthophonic Reproducer Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Jeepster
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 am
Posts: 1727
Location: Blairstown, New Jersey 07825
I would send it to Wyatt for a complete overhaul. He did mine - excellent !!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], OrthoFan and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.