Zonophone reproducer help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Zonophone reproducer help

Post by schweg »

I acquired this a while back and would like advice on removing the reproducer to send it off (hopefully) for repair. I removed the two screws but it is stuck tight and I didn't want to force it and make matters worse. Any advice would be appreciated. It's also missing the horn elbow, slip in type, so leads on that would also be a big help. Ron Sitka has no repro ones available for zonophones
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Zonophone reproducer help

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd try some heat. If you don't have a heat gun a hair dryer should do the trick. I'd wear gloves, get it good and hot and hold the tone arm in one hand and try to separate the reproducer with the other. Jerry Blais

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Zonophone reproducer help

Post by Curt A »

Two things... First, the reproducer can be removed by using a razor blade or other thin knife to cut through the old hardened rubber gasket. It is just stuck on with the remains of a flat gasket. Hopefully, you have the needle bar for that reproducer, because it will be next to impossible to find. A Victor Exhibition reproducer with the rubber mount removed will fit the hole pattern on that tonearm, if that helps.

Second, the horn for that machine is all brass and it has the elbow soldered to the horn as one piece... very hard to find. I'm sending a PM as a follow up...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife