National Company Phonograph Toys

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

National Company Phonograph Toys

Post by gramophone78 »

I don't think we have had a thread regarding these wonderful and funky novelty toys that were made by National Co. in the USA. There are a wide range that were offered for many years. In fact, I have a 1928 Eaton's Department Store catalog still selling them. Even the seldom seen "Fighting Roosters".
I will start with the romantic "Magnetic Dancers" a personal favorite of mine... ;).

So, lets see your toys people...!!!.... :D.
National Co. Magnetic Dancers (2).JPG
National Co. Magnetic Dancers.JPG
Last edited by gramophone78 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outune
Victor IV

Re: National Company Phonograph Toys

Post by outune »

I've been fortunate over the years to find most of the "normal" dancers. Rastus and Shimandy (minus her hat), the Boxers, Roosters, Uncle Sam Kicking the Kaiser and Uncle Sam Kicking Pancho Villa, as well as the magnetic Dancers. Also reproduction Uncle Sam and "Topper" made by Zalewski back in the early 80's. Also an original advertising flyer and a box. The fun thing? All except "Pancho Villa" and "Roosters"(Ebay) were found in the "wild" at shops, flea markets, even a yardsale!

The toys are a great add-on to our fun hobby. I'm a retired special education teacher. I used to take machines and ephemera into schools every year. The toys were always a great hit with the kids!

Sorry the pics aren't better.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN1375.JPG
DSCN1375.JPG (149.91 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1376.JPG
DSCN1376.JPG (133.47 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1366.JPG
DSCN1366.JPG (135.15 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1367.JPG
DSCN1367.JPG (135.62 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1368.JPG
DSCN1368.JPG (136.91 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1371.JPG
DSCN1371.JPG (135.23 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1372.JPG
DSCN1372.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1374.JPG
DSCN1374.JPG (135.11 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
DSCN1373.JPG
DSCN1373.JPG (135.64 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

You have a very nice collection. The only one I've come across is a reproduction Rastus (didn't buy it).

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogal wrote:You have a very nice collection. The only one I've come across is a reproduction Rastus (didn't buy it).
Brad, I too thank you for showing your extensive collection of National (and others) made toys. You just didn't leave any for anyone else to post... :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Seriously, because these toys were made for many years (perhaps decades) and because they are hand painted......many different variations are found.
Just look at the differences with our Magnetic Dancers. Not to mention mine was sold (originally) for $1.00 and yours was $ .00.... :lol: :lol:. What a deal!!!!.

Anyone ever seen a Shimandy box...??.

Come on you guys. I know many of you have these dancing around the house. Start sharing them... ;.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

gramophone78 wrote: Anyone ever seen a Shimandy box...??.
Here's a Shimandy box for you.
P1100226.jpg
Other than the National Co. toys shown previously I have the Phonograph Phollies 5 figure box set. It's a little worse for wear but I'm happy to have it.
P1100229.jpg
P1100227.jpg
Best Regards, Larry

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Oops- Sorry to have posted all my dancers at once-- I'd love to see others of the same type as a comparison. As was mentioned, there are many variations among the toys- Most Rastus' ( would that be Rasti) I've seen have the wooden legs, but I have seen a couple with fiber legs similar to the boxers. My Shimandy dress is pink (maybe faded red)-- I have seen her with other color dresses. The feathers on my roosters were missing when I got the toy. The replacement feathers were 'donated' by a chicken belonging to my brother-in-law, that apparently ran afoul of a fox :(.

I'd be interested to know the historical meaning of "U-Boat Pretzel" on the sub held by Kaiser Wilhelm. And, how about the little mirrored carousel looking toy--- I forgot its name.

Thanks-

Brad Abell

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if someone that has an original box with the instructions on the top for Rastus and the boxers would be so kind to copy it for me. I would like to make a box to keep a set in. Also , need the box dimensions please. Thanks, Jan

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Here you go. It's 6-¾" x 3-⅝" and 2-¼" tall.
Attachments
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here are a few more images of the combo box with Rastus and the Boxers. Mine appears to be a slightly different color, but the dimensions are the same as the other images posted.

And, while I'm posting images :) I also included my group of National Company toys.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Well, since this thread was reopened, I couldn't resist another couple of pics. Here are two characters with boxes of toys called Phono-Movies. I do not have the mechanism that makes them work, though I have seen one at a friends home.