Help with fitting a swollen reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Help with fitting a swollen reproducer

Post by tomb »

Also check the top ring. I have checked the lower large section when the problem was the top small ring was a little out of round. AS everyone says use a small fine file. Tom B.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

This is interesting to hear--as a model C will be made of brass, unless someone took a good brass top and replaced it with a pot metal one. Usually, it would be the model H reproducer which would be swollen--as many had the pot metal top, as time went on. I would think that the reproducer reducer ring may have swelled, as they are usually made out of pot metal. Does the H fit fine into the reducer? Personally, if I have a slightly swollen reproducer, lately I have been using my dremmel tool, and carefully dremmel away until the reproducer fits!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Oooops. I don't know how I read into this that it had a reproducer reducer ring on it. Sorry! Maybe it was when I skimmed through and you mentioned how it was set up for a cygnet horn, so I was assuming a horizontal large carriage. Need to put my glasses on and read more carefully! I recently had a similar problem with a stubborn C stuck in the carriage--it seemed that it had some water damage, and there was a little rust. I DID just use steel wool to clean the reproducer off and then used it in the carriage also, and it worked fine for me.

Good luck!

Mike

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Used a file for medium finish, and finished it off with one for smooth finish. Fits great now and he's happy!! Thanks everyone!!
J.F.