Brunswick 117 brake problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Brunswick 117 brake problem

Post by edisonplayer »

Sometimes when I'm playing my oak Brunswick 117 the brake shuts off.What could be the problem?edisonplayer

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Re: Brunswick 117 brake problem in Machines

Post by BiliBug »

edisonplayer wrote:Sometimes when I'm playing my oak Brunswick 117 the brake shuts off.What could be the problem?edisonplayer
Do you mean the turntable stops? Do you have an automatic stop on the machine (extra lever near the base of the tonearm, or above the brake lever? Is it properly set for each record?
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Yes,it's properly set for each record.But sometimes the brake shuts off prematurely.edisonplayer

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

edisonplayer wrote:Yes,it's properly set for each record.But sometimes the brake shuts off prematurely.edisonplayer
Check the spring tension on the auto stop. Touch the bar lightly and see how sensitive it is. Also check the tension on the brake itself.
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Does the run/stop lever flip to the stop position when this occurs? The brake mechanism on these motors is different from the usual turntable brake. The run/stop lever actuates a lever that presses a brake pad onto the governor to stop. If that lever is not adjusted correctly, that brake pad can drop onto the governor and stop the motor.

If the run/stop lever flips to the off position when this happens, then you likely need a new spring on the lever, as mentioned above.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Here is a video of the brake mechanism from YouTube:

https://youtu.be/kolJg_l_Ors

Might help you to troubleshoot the problem.

Cliff
Last edited by CDBPDX on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Thanks for your help.I didn't know about the device under the motor.Different than say,a Victrola.Could you message me about this?Thanks.edisonplayer