Edison Auto Stop Feature Question (Non-Electric)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Edison Auto Stop Feature Question (Non-Electric)

Post by pellicano1 »

I have 3 Edison machines, A100, C150, and S29. Had a question on the Auto Stop feature. Labeled Edison Discs appear to have a larger "dead" center area than the etched discs. There is approx a ¼" difference. I adjusted the throat/horn for perfect alignment on all 3 and adjusted the safety finger.

So basically if I adjust the stop finger to stop with the labeled discs the etched discs stop too early. And vice versa.

Any ideas? For now my A100 plays etched and my other 2 play labeled discs.

Thanks all!
Attachments
I0wdAFZSkv7H08eF7HWNeA.jpg
EASadjimage2.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison Auto Stop Feature Question (Non-Electric)

Post by fran604g »

Hi Steve,

Just for posterity (as I responded to your query on Facebook), be sure to adjust the safety stop on your various Diamond Disc Phonographs so that it corresponds to the record with the longest recording in your collection. Remember that the design of this feature was so that the stylus would never come into contact with the record label; so really, it's more appropriately an "emergency" stop than it is an actual "automatic" stop. If you catch my drift...

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

fran604g wrote:Hi Steve,

Just for posterity (as I responded to your query on Facebook), be sure to adjust the safety stop on your various Diamond Disc Phonographs so that it corresponds to the record with the longest recording in your collection. Remember that the design of this feature was so that the stylus would never come into contact with the record label; so really, it's more appropriately an "emergency" stop than it is an actual "automatic" stop. If you catch my drift...

Best,
Fran
Thanks they are all setup properly now!! Took my longest disc and adjusted. Thanks again!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

pellicano1 wrote:
fran604g wrote:Hi Steve,

Best,
Fran
Thanks they are all setup properly now!! Took my longest disc and adjusted. Thanks again!
You're welcome, Steve. I'm happy to have helped.

Best regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.