Laboring for the pot metal prize: Orthophonic REBORN!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Laboring for the pot metal prize: Orthophonic REBORN!

Post by MicaMonster »

This soundbox was an “offering” from one of my friends at Wayne. An “offering” for a fair winter, and a beautiful spring! Or, maybe just because it was REALLY messed up, and missing parts, and had broken bits!

This is a pot metal Orthophonic, from a portable. Missing its wool covering, and cover plate, it also had a few horrendous repairs. The needle bar tongue was broken off......so the resourceful owner did whatever any respectful Mr. Fixit would do....they reached for the SuperGlue. And instead of a dab....they dumped the whole bottle on the diaphragm until the whole spider and diaphragm were glued to the stub of the needlebar.....imagine a stalagmite of glue.....a white Hershey’s Kiss of cyanoacrylate diarrhea! They also drilled out the hole on the bottom of the soundbox body where the back plate “finger” fits.......breaking the finger off the back plate in the process. No bearings. No caps (the portable versions didn’t have them.....the face plate held the bearings in.).

Oh, and the spider was rattling on the diaphragm. HAHAHAHAHAH. Let’s see..... its Sunday, and I’m home alone. LET’S REBUILD IT!!!!!

Firstly, I soaked the diaphragm overnight in acetone to dissolve all the glue, then carefully removed it all. Using some handy JB Weld, I put a dab on all of the diaphragm spider fingers to secure them. Voila! MY GOAL: To make a soundbox that would be usable on a floor model Victrola Orthophonic.

I filled in the four face holes with JB, and added a little to the enlarged alignment hole on the bottom of the bezel. Stabilized one small stress crack with CA glue. Drilled into the back plate, and installed a new pin. Used some lacquer body glaze to smooth over the holes, then hit it with some “old gold” paint that I use for touching up decals. Bearing races were gone. Installed new races, and a replacement needle bar, and new bearings. To add bearing caps, I used a thread tap on the extant holes.

On the back plate, I used my special flange extractor to remove the old rubber insulator and brass sleeve. The sleeve was missing its alignment pin, so I soldered in a new one! Reinstalled the sleeve into the back plate with butyl and silicone (plus some secret ingredients). Hit it with a little black lacquer, and re-assembled the whole mess.

Although there is some artifact from the four old face plate holes, you can barely see them. The portable sound boxes (the late ones) were painted gold. So, I don’t feel bad repainting it. But now, it can be used on a floor model as intended.

The portable diaphragms, I feel, are slightly stiffer than the earlier diaphragms. IT PLAYS BEAUTIFULLY, with that nice smooth pot metal warmth. Mission Accomplished. And yes, it will be FOR SALE.
Attachments
777A8A0D-5DD3-49AE-A10C-77C341E01146.jpeg
11C2BC42-63ED-4638-8981-052A3DFE07A1.jpeg
C8FB5887-5816-4263-A1EA-1B0CA554F743.jpeg
66BDFBE6-786F-4FD6-A2A8-600206DA5AF8.jpeg
ABC998A1-E2EB-4D0B-8E00-10D4F76E2636.jpeg
31FBBF7E-65D9-4DAC-8C72-EDD532822AEF.jpeg
E131EB54-D48D-4035-8E84-821326362044.jpeg
BEC9A293-8EFF-435F-81B3-9BB87992390B.jpeg
1D7B0884-E794-4EF7-8082-477542CF0887.jpeg
7052955F-0F00-4EC4-90BC-5E381908BF32.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Laboring for the pot metal prize: Orthophonic REBORN!

Post by tomb »

Nice job Looks new. It must be that secret ingredient.. Tom B

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Such skills at repair and restoration must give you great satisfaction. Visiting EdisonDiamondDisk.com was quite an eye opener. Thanks for posting.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

You sir, are the savior of soundboxes, and I think that one should be named Lazarus.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Lets all put some money in and get you a pot metal trophy made :lol:

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Wyatt - are you selling stock? I want to invest in your business :lol: :lol:

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wyatt, you are a very skilled guy. The reproducers I have sent you came back better than I could have imagined. And, this one seems to be a miracle of skill and patience. Great job!

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

That looks GREAT!Could I send you my gold plated Orthophonic soundbox for you to work on?edisonplayer