Wilcox-Gay Recordette Model 8J10

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Wilcox-Gay Recordette Model 8J10

Post by edisonplayer »

I've been going through my late friend Arthur Pare's storage units.Yesterday I pulled out a Recordette model 8J10.made by the Wilcox-Gay corporation.Arthur got it at a flea market,but it didn't work well.I watched some YouTube videos of Recordettes that have been restored.It's a very neat machine.edisonplayer

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Re: Wilcox-Gay Recordette Model 8J10

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Your machine is the most common of the Wilcox-Gay Recordio machines, and is the model with the least recording quality. If the cartridge is dead, there are plenty of people that can repair it, but there is a process to do it yourself, should the cartridge be a crystal one.

I own a Recordio myself, and it's quite entertaining. You can record whatever you want so long as you have recording needles and plastic plates!

Enjoy...
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

How much would it cost to get my Recordette refurbished? I know of a man who works on antique radios in Binghamton.He'd be the guy to take it to.I wouldn't dare operate it right now.You could get the SHOCK of your life!edisonplayer

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Did they also make wire recorders?

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

briankeith wrote:Did they also make wire recorders?
Yes, they did make wire recorders, and combo wire recorder-record players.

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Phototone wrote:
briankeith wrote:Did they also make wire recorders?
Yes, they did make wire recorders, and combo wire recorder-record players.
In the later years, they made tape recorders...

EdisonPlayer:

The price of the repair depends on what is wrong with it. Crystal reproducer rebuilds, if they are sent to someone, can run upwards of $80. Recording head rebuilds should be sent to a professional, with no other attempt on repair, although it may cost a hundred bucks or so. It takes plenty of skill to rebuild a recording head, from what I've heard. If you're looking for a rec-cap, any respectable radio repairman will do you good. If safety and the well being of your Recordio isn't first priority, I'd suggest hooking it up, and performing test.

If you could provide information on how to chassis is set up, I'd possibly be able to tell you how to test the recording head w/o recording materials and a mic.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I took the Recordette over yesterday to a place in Binghamton,NY called For Your Listening Pleasure to have it serviced.I'm going to have the phonograph and AM radio repaired.Since FYLP has a long waiting list the Recordette will be done in November.edisonplayer