New to the hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: New to the hobby

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

What kind of old phonograph are you hoping to buy?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

What part of the country do you live in?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Hey Jessie! I'm a new collector as well and I think your best bet for getting a deal on a machine would be Craigslist or Facebook market. That is where I was able to get nice machines for reasonable prices. I was able to get a VV-105 for $100 in working condition. It just takes time to find the right deal.

-Greg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

JerryVan wrote:What part of the country do you live in?
His initial post says he's from the Boston (MA, I assume) area. Perhaps some of our members out that way can help him out.

Sean

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

OrthoSean wrote:
JerryVan wrote:What part of the country do you live in?
His initial post says he's from the Boston (MA, I assume) area. Perhaps some of our members out that way can help him out.

Sean

You know, I read his original posting twice and missed it both times... duh. Thanks! Wish some of these new guys were closer to me. I've got some projects for them.

KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

Yea from the Boston area. As for the machine not sure there's been a few. Trying to see how much money I want to spend and narrow it down.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

JerryVan wrote:Wish some of these new guys were closer to me. I've got some projects for them.
I know what you mean, I've managed to pass along some projects over the Summer, but I still have several left that I'd pretty much give away or sell very cheaply to anyone locally.

Sean

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Keep checking up on your local Craigslist: look for flea markets, estate sales, etc.

I found several machines on CL, as well as some good cylinders...

Bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

If it is your first machine you have a lot of ways to go. You can go with a portable disc machine which are reasonable and readily available. Discs come in a big variety and are around a dollar for the common ones. If you like the cylinder machines the Edison standard and homes are also reasonable and available in the two minute and four minute machines. That would be an A or B machine. Cylinders run 3 to 10 dollars .. The machines are more expensive than the portables but also resale better. One word of caution.... when you buy one machine you will be surprised at how many you will have in five years. This hobby s a hoot working with 100 year old phonographs. You also have Edison disc machines and upright machines. They come in Edison disc, regular disc and cylinder machines. As the machines get fancier the price goes up. If you are handy you can purchase some fixer uppers The Edison cylinder phonographs seem to be easier to work on than others and they are bullet proof. Take your time and look around they are available on the East cost, E bay, thrift shops and Craig list. Tom B

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Why not list your items on the "Yankee Trader" section here and see if there is interest at your proposed price?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.