New to the hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

New to the hobby

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

Hey everyone my names Jesse and i am from the boston area. I recently had found an interest in getting my first phonograph machine. But in the meantime i have come across a few pieces i would like to get some possible history, value as i will use the funds from those to put towards the machine. Any help be much appreciated. I posted below some photos.
Attachments
20171015_211546.jpg<br />20171015_211553.jpg
20171015_211546.jpg
20171015_211553.jpg

KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

Re: New to the hobby

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

Heres th other piece
Attachments
20171015_211546.jpg

KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

Inside the box. Like i said any help be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20171015_211553.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I don't know anything about the "Resurrectone" reproducer or "sound box," other than it's one of scores of off-brand components manufactured in the teens/1920s.

Here's an ad from a 1919 issue of Popular Mechanics --
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (59.52 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
SEE: https://books.google.com/books?id=R69IA ... er&f=false

---------------------------------

The tonearm and reproducer in photo one are from a Victrola produced during the later teens into the mid-1920s. You can learn about the various models, components used, etc., from this site: http://victor-victrola.com/

I wouldn't venture a guess as to potential value, but similar components come up for sale all the time on sites such as eBay. You might want to scour the ads and bookmark some auctions for similar items, and track them to completion to see what they sell for.

OF

KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

That's cool. Thanks ortho. Any idea on value

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Welcome Jesse,

Your tone arm with No. 2 Victrola reproducer is SIMILAR to one for sale on e-bay for $120. However, the nut holding the tone arm into the bracket is incorrect and will undoubtedly reduce the value.

The 'Resurrectone' reproducer and box almost look like new old stock. The Hoffay Talking Machine Co. was founded in New York in 1915 by Joseph Hoffay, an inventor. He introduced the 'Resurrectone' reproducer in November 1917 and developed several types. The company was filed into bankruptcy by November 1920, but Mr.Hoffay continued to invent and patent his reproducers intended to be used on any talking machine throughout 1921 and early 1922.
Since is considered an 'off-brand', the market may be small. Other off-brand reproducers in less than fine condition have been selling for $20 to $100. It will depend on condition and desirability.

Hope this is helpful
Ed and Nancy

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Welcome to the Forum... love that reproducer.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

phonolamplighter wrote:Your tone arm with No. 2 Victrola reproducer is SIMILAR to one for sale on e-bay for $120. However, the nut holding the tone arm into the bracket is incorrect and will undoubtedly reduce the value.
Actually, thats incorrect. There is nothing wrong with that later style support assembly, I have the exact same thing on a VV-210.

KamikidEFFL1
Victor Jr

Post by KamikidEFFL1 »

Thanks guys, do you think it's possible to get $100 for both? You think that's fair asking price. Again using this money to buy my first phono.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

KamikidEFFL1 wrote:Thanks guys, do you think it's possible to get $100 for both? You think that's fair asking price. Again using this money to buy my first phono.
That seems not unreasonable, though I'd only be interested in the Ressurectone