My find of the day

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: My find of the day

Post by EarlH »

marcapra wrote:Does anyone know what the name of the finish is on this A-100 other than just saying "Dark oak"? Is this Mission Oak or Fumed Oak? Does anyone know? And what is the difference between fumed and Mission oak?
Marc,
I would guess that the "Mission Oak" stain is very dark and probably looks a lot like the fumed oak. When it was new, stain may have shown the flake off better in the quarter sawn oak and that may be why both finishes were offered. Oil stain will show the flake off better than water dye will because the oil stain won't soak into the flake very much. (Dye's look wonderful on mahogany however) Plus, it was easier to stain the wood than fume it and the end result is more predictable. Any amount of glue or residue on the wood will effect the fuming, or leave white spots so they would need to be really meticulous on that point before the cabinet was fumed. Since the fumed oak is a chemical change in the wood, I don't think it fades in light much or the same way the stained wood will. I have one of those early XIV Victrolas with the Queen Ann legs and I'm pretty sure it's fumed since it's almost the same color inside and out. The horn is stained though and it's very dark.

Maybe some of the others have different ideas on that one, but that's pretty much where I'm at with those finishes. Usually if you look around on your cabinet you can also see on the inside where they got a little sloppy with stain, if that's what was used on it. And if they fumed it, it should be dark (any oak) inside and out. Not just in the places you can see since they had to do that process after the cabinet was assembled.

I wish I was better at matching some of those old colors, but on oak I find it especially difficult. At least the 'repairs' always seem to stare at me, even if no one else seems to notice...... And the old finishing books are not very plain on most of the processes they actually used. They were written with the assumption that you had some old finisher around and he would explain most of the process. Or chemicals like arsenic (for that wonderful hint of red so admired in Walnut) are called for. Ha!

That little Edison is a nice find. Those machines are really a nice size and much better looking than some of the later small one's like that London thing with the composite grille.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

nice size and much better looking than some of the later small one's like that London thing with the composite grille.
Composite grille on a London? did you really mean the Hepplewhite H-19 with the Fleur-de-Lis grille?

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

YAY,
A member sold me the grill and lid support!
I love it but a friend kinda wants one. I do have my other DD and I don't really have room since I got the 4 minute floor model...
Grrrr... Maybe the wife will let me put it in the library!

LOLOLOLOL.. Not...

ARGH.. These tall pics always turn sideways when I post them... THANKS! It is fixed

Kirk
Attachments
IMG_6627.JPG
Last edited by OldRestorer on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

OldRestorer wrote:
ARGH.. These tall pics always turn sideways when I post them...
This might help...

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=32325

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

OldRestorer wrote:YAY,
A member sold me the grill and lid support!
I love it but a friend kinda wants one. I do have my other DD and I don't really have room since I got the 4 minute floor model...
Grrrr... Maybe the wife will let me put it in the library!

LOLOLOLOL.. Not...

ARGH.. These tall pics always turn sideways when I post them... THANKS! It is fixed

Kirk
Looks great! Congratulations! I would fight for this one with the wife. It is not common in dark oak.

Andreas

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'd say a keeper. If you have enough house for a LIBRARY, you sure have room to keep a little A150.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Just to clarify - that's an A-100. :)

George P.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Lets clarify...

I have room but I am married and she is a minimalist.. It could easily go in the den or library but I have so many that the den is overflowing. The library is my wifes domain and only things she likes can go in there.. She calls it her safe place, LOL

Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...