Bent stylus on Columbia Q reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Bent stylus on Columbia Q reproducer

Post by jboger »

Please take a look at the photo. The part that's bent I'm calling the stylus, perhaps incorrectly. My fear is that if I attempt to unbend this piece, it will snap off. Any thoughts from the community how to proceed? Is this an unusual problem? Any chance the entire piece that's bent is available? I want to avoid buying another reproducer.
Attachments
DSCF1497.jpg
DSCF1497.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Bent stylus on Columbia Q reproducer

Post by Phonofreak »

The bent piece is the stylus bar. Make sure the stylus is present. As you can see it is hinged on the back. You can move the stylus bar up. Then carefully bend the stylus bar so it is straight with a needle nose pliers. The metal is flexible. But is is fragile, so so the bend very slowly.
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

What about applying some heat before bending? I think I can disassemble the stylus. I'm not going to work on this until I'm in the right frame of mind.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

When I did this type of repair, I didn't use heat. I just carefully bent the stylus bar. Also, if you use heat, you might melt the cement that holds the stylus in place. If you have anymore questions, just fire away, and I'll do my best to answer them. I have done this repair a few times.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Harvey’s right... just straighten it carefully with no heat.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Take a look at the photo. Nope, didn't use any heat, and yep, the metal was malleable enough to gently bend it back. I did use my staking set to remove the stylus from the body of the reproducer. Just needed to remove a small pin. This made it easer to get"at" it. Curt and Harvey, thanks again for the help.

But now something else. You can see this has to be set right with the correct gaskets. I've rebuilt columbia's analyzing reproducer. Any words to follow for rebuilding this one? I have two sizes of the white tubing that we get from Ron Sitko. Try that? Or something else?

John
Attachments
DSCF1503.jpg
DSCF1503.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 993 times

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Nope, you'll need a gasket Ron Sitko sells for this. It goes inside. Outside is sealed with wax, you can use beeswax warmed up enough to fit it around the outside and then use heat to set it into place. I have two of these I need to get around to doing myself :lol:

Sean