Columbia BII Reproducer Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Columbia BII Reproducer Question

Post by CDBPDX »

I see a Columbia BII for sale on Ebay with a reproducer I have not seen before. Is it correct or contemporary for that phonograph?

Thanks! Cliff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262937589772
Attachments
Ebay_ColReproducer.jpg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

downsouth
Victor III

Re: Columbia BII Reproducer Question

Post by downsouth »

I believe that is the "Improved Champion" reproducer. I think it was available in two different sizes as well.

Wes

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

downsouth wrote:I believe that is the "Improved Champion" reproducer. I think it was available in two different sizes as well.

Wes
Thanks! I have seen a similar smaller sized one, this is the first larger one I've seen. Is it appropriate for the BII?

Cliff

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

At the moment, I am unable to access my copy of Baumbach & Lackey's Columbia Phonograph Companion; but this soundbox was often used on Grafonolas, at the same period in which the BII was produced. I wager that it is original to the machine.

Bill

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Based on the Baumbach Book it is a Columbia Concert Grand reproducer. On Columbia machines it is usually branded in the middle of the bezel, on Columbia client machines it is usually unbranded.

Andreas

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

So one of these is a Columbia Concert and the other a Columbia Concert Grand? The Grand looks like it has a molded aluminum diaphragm. Does that mean 1925 or later? The smaller one has a mica diaphragm.

Cliff
Attachments
tn-500_ColumbiaImprovedReproducers_0001.JPG
tn-500_ColumbiaImprovedReproducers_0000.JPG
tn-500_ColumbiaImprovedReproducers_0000.JPG (223.28 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Last edited by CDBPDX on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I believe it's correct, though I do not have documented proof of that. I have 2 BII's, each has a different reproducer. Each was purchased from a non-collector/dealer, so the chances of them having been tampered with are very low. The one basically has that same reproducer, less the decorative cover cap. I believe the BII was offered for many years, with at least 2 or 3 different back bracket/tone arm combinations. I have to believe that over the life of this model, several different reproducers were also part of the changes.

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

Thanks for all the info! I need to get the Columbia disc phono book. Cliff

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

CDBPDX wrote:Thanks for all the info! I need to get the Columbia disc phono book. Cliff
Unfortunately Baumbach left the reproducer section out of the new electronic edition, so you would have to look for a paper edition. Even there it's just one page of images. I would love to find more comprehensive Columbia reproducer information.

Andreas

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I have a Columbia second Style Deluxe Grafonola with the Concert Grand reproducer, but it is gold plated. The machine is from the same period as the BII. My BII has a different reproducer. I will post a photo when I get a chance.

Oddly, my second style Deluxe does not match the drawing in the book. It is more ornate and has two doors and no louvers. It does have the other features mentioned. I have not found a picture of another second style Deluxe.