How to fix up an Edison:

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

How to fix up an Edison:

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Okay guys...

Orthosean has graciously said he'd hold an inexpensive "project" green oak Standard Edison for me until I got some money together.

It's missing a horn and reproducer and my main objective is to keep it really cheap but still have it sound as good as possible. Expected use location is a small room. Are Model C's and 14" horns adequate or should I save up for a morning glory/conical 30"? (Cygnet would be cool but not on one this old.)

Also, how do these 2-minute cylinder phonographs actually sound,compared, say, to a 1910-1920 cabinet Victrola with Exhibition reproducer?

Thanks a lot.

Phototone
Victor III

Re: How to fix up an Edison:

Post by Phototone »

On any acoustic phonograph, the bigger the horn, the better the sound. Small horns restrict low frequency response.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Okay guys...

Orthosean has graciously said he'd hold an inexpensive "project" green oak Standard Edison for me until I got some money together.

It's missing a horn and reproducer and my main objective is to keep it really cheap but still have it sound as good as possible. Expected use location is a small room. Are Model C's and 14" horns adequate or should I save up for a morning glory/conical 30"? (Cygnet would be cool but not on one this old.)

Also, how do these 2-minute cylinder phonographs actually sound,compared, say, to a 1910-1920 cabinet Victrola with Exhibition reproducer?

Thanks a lot.
I have a black Standard MG horn that's a tatty original I'd donate to the cause. You just pay Greyhound shipping.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

As far as sound, it depends a lot on the condition of the records. All in all, you will probably get better sound on the 1910-20 Victrola than the Edison 2 min. Standard, as it's far easier to find good Victor batwings and Patents records than it is to find good condition Gold Molded Edison wax cylinders.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I agree that a larger horn will give you better sound: you'll have to get a crane to support it, though.

As for sheer volume, a good Victrola will out-perform a cylinder machine: but in your circumstances, volume does not seem to be an issue. Cylinder phonographs have their own particular charm.

Bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The green Model A Standard was a fine machine when introduced in the early 20th Century and it's a great machine today. It was sold with the little 14" horn and the outstanding C reproducer. The performance is quite good. I'd suggest that combination at first. A larger horn improves performance and you can add it later when it's in your budget.

Jerry Blais

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks a lot guys.

I already have a 1914 VV-XIV back in South Carolina. It sounds incredible, putting out enough music to hear outside if I have the window open, and yes the records are a lot easier to find. Also have a 2-65 Orthophonic portable, which is sonically in a whoele new league.

Mr. Blais--thanks for your suggestion. I've always liked the look of the little horn, but prefer good sound over good looks. I'll likely go for morning glory, also to reduce drag on the topworks. "Outstanding C Reproducer?" Thanks for telling me about it! I heard they aren't rare at all so that's likely what will go on it.

Thanks a lot Gramophone-georg for the offer on the tatty MG horn--I'm probably going to do that and find a crane somewhere. The machine has a repro crank on it so originality isn't the biggest thing here. I'm more interested into getting it playing and gradually building a collection of Indestructible, Edison, and especially the new modern cylinders.

Thanks again for great phono knowledge. Hope your collecting goes well and provides fun for you and others.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I don't know where you are located but I can get Gramophone-George's M/G horn from Oregon to Union (Chicago area) next June. The only cost would be chocolate malts for the guys in my truck. :)

Jerry Blais

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:I don't know where you are located but I can get Gramophone-George's M/G horn from Oregon to Union (Chicago area) next June. The only cost would be chocolate malts for the guys in my truck. :)

Jerry Blais
Van mentioned Texas in a PM. What part I'm not sure but if someone in his area is going to Union maybe it can be a relay operation. I'm not sure the seminary will give him time off for a phono show. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Sorry--there's no chance the seminary is giving me time off for a phonograph swap meet. All my Victrolas and 78s are back in South Carolina, I'm in the Dallas metroplex probably not too far from Hearsedriver.

Though my Victrolas sounded great spinning their 78s they don't exactly do live streaming. So I decided to fix an Amberola to play the Blue Amberols back in the closet at home. Then I find Orthosean's ad and the Vulcan Record Company's new releases, and it's all going down hill from there...these are the only two Edison cylinder phonos I really am interested in. Used to want a Standard D but didn't ever find one. Well, two machines makes for a start to some fun projects and I get to keep an original 2m.