A new Gem!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OldRestorer
Victor III

A new Gem!

Post by OldRestorer »

About a month ago I bought 131 2 minute wax cylinders. 23 came broken and a few minor cracks in some others.
Of course I only have a 4 minute machine so I needed a 2 minute machine to play these on.
I purchased one last week and bought a horn for it off eBay. They arrived today and I have been having fun going through the cylinders.
I have gone through 52 and found 8 keepers. I have 56 more to go so hopefully I find some more nice ones in them...

Here is my new beauty all dismantled, greased and I gave the cabinet the "treatment" It was super grungy. Ack! ;)
Attachments
IMG_6560.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG (89.21 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_6561.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG (65.28 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6573.JPG
IMG_6573.JPG (89.59 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_6574.JPG
IMG_6574.JPG (83.87 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_6575.JPG
IMG_6575.JPG (81.74 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
IMG_6576.JPG
IMG_6576.JPG (85.71 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: A new Gem!

Post by Phonofreak »

Nice machine. That's a real Gem of a Gem :D :clover: :rose:
Harvey Kravitz

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Nice early Gem! I have one too, but I find the key wind is a bit tough to wind up the machine. I have been enjoying your posts as you always having something interesting to say and show! I'm curious, is that a pic of you in your avatar? Kind of reminds me of Festus in the old Gunsmoke show.
Attachments
928_GUNSMOKE_S_FESTUS-Sings__n__Talks__Bout_Dodge__1.jpeg
928_GUNSMOKE_S_FESTUS-Sings__n__Talks__Bout_Dodge__1.jpeg (139.72 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
01_1940s Ken Curtis.jpeg

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I'm so glad it arrived safely!! And I'm also very happy you're enjoying it so much!! If I had the time I would've touched it up myself...but you did an excellent job!! What did you put on the wood? Orange oil? Looks great and full of life. It was rather dull when I had it but other things took my time.

Remember if you ever want to part with it to fund another let me know! It's such a good running quiet GEM.

You have my email so always feel free to send me one if you wish to discuss phonos or records...Or if you need help!

Also, always remember to put the key in as far as you can. If not you may break one of the slot pieces on the shaft. I see it a lot on early Gems sold on eBay.
J.F.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

EdisonWizard wrote:I'm so glad it arrived safely!! And I'm also very happy you're enjoying it so much!! If I had the time I would've touched it up myself...but you did an excellent job!! What did you put on the wood? Orange oil? Looks great and full of life. It was rather dull when I had it but other things took my time.

Remember if you ever want to part with it to fund another let me know! It's such a good running quiet GEM.

You have my email so always feel free to send me one if you wish to discuss phonos or records...Or if you need help!

Also, always remember to put the key in as far as you can. If not you may break one of the slot pieces on the shaft. I see it a lot on early Gems sold on eBay.
It sure is a nice one and I sent you a message about how to do the "treatment".
There is nothing on the cabinet, no oil, no Howards Restor-A-Finish, not nothin. It is just a light rubbing of #0000 wool and GoJo.
The finish under it was preserved by the crud so it will shine on it's own.

Thanks Guys!

Kirk

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

OldRestorer wrote:just a light rubbing of #0000 wool and GoJo.
Hopefully bronze and not steel ;)

Steel + Oak = Black (eventually)

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Yes thats me in the pic, lol...
I use the wool VERY lightly and usually just use a dish sponge rough side.
I have never had greying on sealed finishes.

Kirk

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Very interesting, at least I think I could spot you in crowd. Getting back to Ken Curtis, I never knew that "Festus" was a member of the Sons of the Pioneers back in the 1940s!