#4 Victor Reproducer Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: #4 Victor Reproducer Question

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:What does a brass #4 cost and does anyone have one for sale?
Curt, Brass Victrola No. 4s are very scarce and expensive. As an alternative, brass HMV No. 4s can be had reasonably on www.ebay.co.uk
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Curt, Brass Victrola No. 4s are very scarce and expensive. As an alternative, brass HMV No. 4s can be had reasonably on http://www.ebay.co.uk
The American Victor No.4s are not only scarce but are also made of pot metal and most have cracking problems. As far as I know, the British HMV No. 4s are nickel-plated brass. Neither is cheap in any condition unless you know a very kind and generous fellow collector.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Torjazzer wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:
Curt, Brass Victrola No. 4s are very scarce and expensive. As an alternative, brass HMV No. 4s can be had reasonably on http://www.ebay.co.uk
The American Victor No.4s are not only scarce but are also made of pot metal and most have cracking problems. As far as I know, the British HMV No. 4s are nickel-plated brass. Neither is cheap in any condition unless you know a very kind and generous fellow collector.
Not all of the American No. 4s are pot metal, I have a brass one
IMG_6281.JPG

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Torjazzer wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:
IIRC, the American No. 4 is brass, but the much, much more common No. 4A is pot metal.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

IIRC the Vic No. 4 can go either way and the 4A was always pot metal.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

gramophone-georg wrote:IIRC the Vic No. 4 can go either way and the 4A was always pot metal.
If you come across a 4 that is not brass I'd be interested in see it. Note that the 4 and 4A both say 4 on the front, only on the back is where the "A" designation is shown. This is probably why folks use the terms 4 and 4A confusingly. 4? 4A? depends on if you are looking at the front or the back!

I'll also add that there is an Electrola 4 and 4A (brass & pot metal respectively) made for the German market which is similar to the HMV 4/4A.

:?

Brandon, Yours is a little different than most. If that style did come in pot metal, I don't think I've seen one myself, so I could learn something here.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here are pictures of a 4A that I have. I have owned two 1-70 machines and they both had this exact reproducer on them. I suspect it was the most common one in use. As you can see it is pot-metal.

The reproducer is in its original box. I don't think it was ever used. I tried it a couple of years ago and it sounded pretty good. But, probably could use a rebuild. I'm afraid to attempt taking it apart.