Best way to get shine out of a Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Best way to get shine out of a Victrola

Post by GregVTLA »

Hello! I was curious as how you go about making a Victrola as nice as possible without refinishing. I've already tried the steel wool and citrus oil, as well as Pledge. It looks clean, but still worn and a little bit foggy. I have an IX and 105 I'd really like to look as nice as possible. Thanks!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Best way to get shine out of a Victrola

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Search the forum for “new life” or “gojo”. And also cease using pledge at once! It contains silicone which is bad bad bad!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks!

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Yuck - don't use Pledge or Lemmon oil :roll:

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

I've heard the thing about Pledge being bad, but why would Lemon Oil be bad (ie Old English)?

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Many options of course ... and as mentioned a lot of info here. But for the 3 machines I'm worked on its been gojo [that is a hand cleaner like goop- there are others ... must be pumice/abrasive free] and lots of rags and paper towels. Messy, a bit gross and quite satisfying as you see the nasty black filth coming off. Best match using Howard's Restore-a-finish. Then a non-silicon paste wax. Renaissance Wax if you are wealthy and want the high end conservators wax used in a museum... Minwax if you are less wealthy and want the wax those same conservators probably use at home :)

Of course it depends on how bad things are to start. What I do isn't bringing anything back to 'like new', but its all better than when I started and I've done no damage.

Others may very well cringe as they read this however.

Cheers

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

PS. You asked what's wrong with Lemon oil and I honestly did not know, but did know I'd read somewhere its a No No ... a quick google found this:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/storie ... ish-alone/
Scroll down to "Avoid Oils on Wood" ... Karen is OK with paste-wax though ... so hooray for me!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks for sharing this article burke. I read it and I find it interesting that the oils were actually damaging the machines. Old English has been my go-to product :shock:. I should definitely invest in some better products.

-Greg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Renaissance Wax is fantastic! I use it extensively. A small jar goes a long way, and at $20 per jar, you certainly don’t need to be wealthy to use it. For the most part this isn’t a cheap hobby to begin with, and I have no problem spending the extra money on top shelf products like New Life Furniture Masque & Renaissance Wax if it preserves and protects my investments even just a little bit better.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

They say not to use lemon oil on guitars because the finish is so thin on guitars, the oil seeps through the crazing in the finish reaching bare wood and creating dark spider web lines. I doubt that would be a problem with phonographs unless it is badly alligatored. I've used lemon oil on antique furniture and it works fine.