Cygnet Horn painting

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
callron
Victor O

Cygnet Horn painting

Post by callron »

I am restoring a Cygnet Horn #10 and would like to know if the original horns have gold stripes on the ribs 'inside' the bell as well as on the outside?. I see it both ways in photos.
Thank you in advance.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Cygnet Horn painting

Post by phonogfp »

Although some over-enthusiastic collectors have at times added gold stripes to the insides, they were originally applied only on the outside, and on the rolled ends of the petals that form the mouth of the horn. Below are photos of an unrestored example.

George P.
cygnet2.jpg
cygnet2.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
cygnet3.jpg
cygnet3.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I did two cygnet horns. One I just did the outside and the other I did both. The inside ones are not hard and I like them but that is my taste. Tom B

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hey George, et al
I beg to differ.... I have had cygnets done both ways--- with and without inside stripes. Here are pics of the nice original horn on my Fireside. The inside lines are nearly imperceptible, but are definitely there... When I've repainted horns in the past, I've used a thin line gold paint pen, held against the metal rib as a guide. It works well, especially if you don't apply much pressure.. a very light line with a few skips in it looks better than a bright, heavier line IMO.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN1762.JPG
DSCN1762.JPG (138.48 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
DSCN1763.JPG
DSCN1763.JPG (136.44 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
DSCN1766.JPG
DSCN1766.JPG (137.34 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks Brad! :) I've never had a cygnet with interior stripes, and have never noticed one at shows. I'm glad to learn something. Would you please post a picture of the hanger on that cygnet?

Those interior stripes are so subtle, I wonder if the exterior stripes were applied before the horn was assembled, and what we're seeing are the edges of the exterior stripes. Either way, it's a nice effect!

George P.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi George-- Indeed us "old dogs" can learn new tricks ! :) Here is a pic of the hanger. I looked at the horn with your theory in mind... that the interior stripes may be the edge of exterior stripes that were applied before the horn was assembled. I don't know-- The subtle interior stripes are fairly uniform, but in one small spot it looks like "Mildred's" hand may have slipped a little because there is a small amount of gold up on the edge of the crimped ridge-- which would make it on the unpainted side of that panel if only the exterior had been painted. Does that make sense?

This is my only remaining metal cygnet (that has paint on it) so I can't compare it to other horns right now-- but several years ago I used a different horn as a model when I repainted one-- My other horn also had very thin, faint paints line in the interior... and at that same time I had one that had NO interior lines. So.. I guess we have yet another Phono-Mystery on our hands. :)

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN1760.JPG
DSCN1760.JPG (136.62 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks Brad. One more question: does your cygnet carry a patent decal listing Aug. 22, 1905 as the last date? Or is it July 2, 1907?

Thanks again - - we old dogs CAN learn new tricks! :)

George P.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

The Patent decal-- last date July 2, 1907

Brad

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks again, Brad. I'm looking for patterns, but not finding any...!

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This thread has come at just the right time for me, as I am about to refresh the pin-striping on my 11 panel reproduction horn which I am told was made in New Zealand. Can anyone confirm this? There are no stripes on the inside of my horn, so I will be guided by the pictures of George's unrestored example.