Inflation-adjusted retail prices for Victrolas in 1915-2017

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Inflation-adjusted retail prices for Victrolas in 1915-2

Post by drh »

phonogfp wrote:And this is why I don't trust these inflation calculators. How many families could/would spend half a year's income on a Victrola IV?

George P.
Well, I dunno. That does seem extreme, but then, maybe lots bought them on "time," making payments as we do today for automobiles and other big ticket items. And I'm sure lots of more modest means would have loved to own a Victrola but actually bought a cheaper line (Claxtonola? Starr of Indiana? Silvertone? Bob Smith's Upright Phonogramographophone Company?) Against "that's an awful lot for a Victrola" (or Edison, or whatever), we should bear in mind that the home entertainment options otherwise were limited--buy a piano or violin or guitar and learn to play it, buy playing cards or board games of some sort, buy books or magazines (or maybe check them out from the library), not a lot more. No TV or radio or Internet or cell phones--or, in many cases, phones of any sort--in those days, and transportation wasn't so great that going out to the movies (themselves still a novelty, not necessarily available in every town or hamlet) or such was a matter of routine, either. So adding a phonograph to the home was an investment in hugely expanded entertainment options. Moreover, maybe the (to us) immense cost of the things is one reason so many have survived to the present day, even though they are clumsy to store and, as a practical matter, have been useless for their intended purpose for decades--they cost so much when new, a lot of people just couldn't bring themselves to throw them away when they became obsolescent/obsolete.

All the foregoing is speculation on my part, not in any way authoritative. Just ideas to mull over.

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
Victor A wrote:
RolandVV-360 wrote:
Victrola 35
1924: $30|2017: $428.01
:shock: I got mine for only $110!
And I got mine for free!
Haha!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Just for fun, I did this in reverse. This is how much these items sold in 2017 would cost you at 1915 prices. Not sure how this would work without a time machine, but here it is:

"Victrola" bluetooth suitcase turntable: 2017 retail price $59.99. Your 1915 price is $2.45
Bose wave music system: 2017 retail price is $499. Your 1915 price is $20.42
iPhone X: 2017 retail price $999. Your 1915 price is $40.88
Tesla Model S: 2017 retail price $136,200. Your 1915 price is $5,573

I'd say that the "Victrola" is probably worth about $2...

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

audiophile102 wrote:One aspect of this thread that I think needs mentioning is the fact that there were no TV's and radio stations were pretty weak. Having a phonograph for a family starved of in home entertainment must have been a pretty high priority. Just take one look on line a the number of Victrola XI's that are for sale today. All across the country companies sprang up to fill the demand. Incidentally, my Sonora cost $300 in 1916 and the Sonora company didn't offer easy payment plans! I don't know who bought mine back in 1916, but I imagine that he could afford it. 8-)
Look at what we pay for entertainment now, cable, movies, ballgames, football, cell phone bills, vacations, etc. That was there only entertainment and I will bet that will come close to a Edison or Victrola easily. People were more frugal then and there were not a lot of taxes to deal with. You salary was almost exactly what you make. People may make $ 100000 but how much is take home pay.. Ahhhh people say the good old days.... :lol: :lol: Tom B