Victor auto brake

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Victor auto brake

Post by CharliePhono »

I know this has been discussed previously on the Forum, but hanged if I can find it:

The auto brake on my 4-7 is now annoyingly tripping before a record is over -- even on those without even the slightest back-and-forth movement on the recording. The brake is whistle-clean and I'm stumped as to why this is happening.

Collective wisdom, please and thank you.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Victor auto brake

Post by CharliePhono »

Anyone?

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

I did find this link on the forum regarding the auto brake: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 69&start=0

I had always thought these should remain "dry," i.e., no lubrication. Someone mentioned thoroughly cleaning all old lube off of these. Even with light (clock oil) lubrication, the brake tripped prematurely. I thus cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner and left it dry. No difference. If anything, the premature braking is even worse. Out of frustration during a listening session last night, I disengaged the brake altogether from the tone arm.

I'm wondering if the culprit may lie in the small springs attached to the brake?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I had a persistent problem with the break of my credenza, which was actually opposite to yours (it would not actuate the break most of the time) until I decided to replace its springs with ones from another similar break. That solved the problem. My take is that the proper operation of the break depends on the balance of the spring forces and with time the springs degrade and that balance is lost. If you have access to another brake you may want to try out replacing springs, if it does not work it is reversible anyway.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Thanks very much, Carlos. The springs on the brake are pristine, but I will take another look at them if this fix doesn't work: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=17676

I just did the slightest bending, as mentioned in the above thread and will test that out later to see if that solves the problem. If not, then I will look into the tensioning springs.