Help! Removing bull gear from Edison Spring barrel

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pete Stratford
Victor II

Help! Removing bull gear from Edison Spring barrel

Post by Pete Stratford »

Hello,
I am trying to remove the large bull gear an Edison Spring barrel. I removed the two screws thinking it would then just fall off but no luck. There is also an alignment pin, do i need to grind that off?
Pete
Attachments
IMG_9819.JPG
IMG_9818.JPG
IMG_9817.JPG

Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Help! Removing bull gear from Edison Spring barrel

Post by Phonolair »

Pete Stratford wrote:Hello,
I am trying to remove the large bull gear an Edison Spring barrel. I removed the two screws thinking it would then just fall off but no luck. There is also an alignment pin, do i need to grind that off?
Pete
Don't grind off the alignment pin. After you remove the two screws this gear will come off. It's a tight fit so you will have to work at it a bit.

Larry Crandell

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Get a stick. piece of plastic, or a screw driver handle in there and work it. I had one that was real tight but it came off. Is the gear stripped or wrong size and you need to replace it??? Tom B

Larry Hawes
Victor O

Post by Larry Hawes »

Spray WD 40 around the inside edge (assume spring still in barrel?)....if not then submerge the gear in solvent for several hours. Then lightly tap (prefer fiber hammer) all around the center area of the gear mount. Then carefully, again with fiber or brass hammer, lightly tap around the spring side of the gear. Be careful to not hit the gear teeth. Keep rotating the gear lightly tapping and soon you will see some movement, a slight bit of space. Then follow the earlier comment and wedge a bit of hard plastic or even the flat end of a screw driver with your hand NOT pounding on screwdriver with hammer :) and move from top to bottom and back. Should release easily. OH, and when you do get movement, spray again with solvent or WD 40 when you first see light between the gear and the base. Do NOT drill or do anything with the guide insert that goes through the gear. That is needed to align the screws. Good luck.

Next time through Seattle please stop. Have not seen you in years.

Larry