Columbia Viva-Tonal Reproducer Rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
smccaskill
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Stuart

Columbia Viva-Tonal Reproducer Rebuild

Post by smccaskill »

I recently acquired a little model 602? Columbia Viva-Tonal victrola which has the somewhat exotic reproducer that was meant to compete with Victor's Orthophonic machine. It appeared totally beyond my ability to rebuild and I heard about a fellow named Wyatt that could rebuild them. His email is: restorationarts@gmail.com.

I heard about Wyatt from a friend who has been in the Victrola business for a long, long time so I took a chance and sent him my Viva-Tonal reproducer. The exterior looked pretty nice, but I could see the insulating gasket was as hard as a rock and thought the rest of it would probably be equally stiff.

The reproducer was turned around in a matter of about 5 days and what came back to me was quite the most amazing transformation. Everything was polished and the reproducer has absolutely staggering fidelity! I am sure this is owing to the care in rebuilding. Wyatt replaced the bearings and created an injection molded gasket among other things. My original aluminum disk was ok. He obviously worked wonders and I could not be more pleased.

I have owned a number of Victor Orthophonic machines over the years and I can tell you with great conviction that the Viva-Tonal IS TRULY the equal and better of the Orthophonic reproducer. It's not a myth. Both are excellent and there is no doubt there. You cannot go wrong with either one. However, in my opinion, the Viva-Tonal is more discriminating in presenting the full range of frequencies. You hear more little details in the presentation of the music than you do with the Orthophonic. I guess the word "clarity" would be word I would use to describe the primary advantage the Viva-Tonal has over the Orthophonic. From the highest to the lowest frequency you can throw at it, the Viva-Tonal performs like a champ and does not miss a beat.

I had never heard of Wyatt in my life but I have no hesitation now in recommending his work to anyone that has a Columbia Viva-Tonal reproducer. I just don't think you will find better workmanship on a rebuild anywhere.
Stuart McCaskill - stumccaskill@gmail.com

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Columbia Viva-Tonal Reproducer Rebuild

Post by briankeith »

Wyatt's turn-around time is amazing as is his workmanship !!

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Here are photos of the original hardened part, and the new replacement part. 3D printing has opened new worlds! This flange is the absolute key to getting the Viva Tonal to open up. Note the inside.... smooth and perfect seal.
Attachments
8004EF95-408D-4BCA-9AFD-D9AD5A768C97.jpeg
3CBFAA9D-F487-40D1-92B2-87E407BA8C67.jpeg
6307A142-DDD8-4939-8934-FDD22FA4B76F.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

You're preaching to the choir about Wyatt Markus. I sent him an Edison Dance reproducer years ago and I am still amazed at what a good electric DD sounds like with that Dance reproducer. It makes me reflect on why I have Edison DD machines. I also own some Edison DD on CD transfers. For example, Hot Dance of the Roaring 20's, Edison Laterals 3, does not have the soul and enlivening character of the original recordings. Too much of the detail is taken away on these CD transfers, so I'm glad to experience the originals with a great reproducer! Marc.