"New Edison" 2-C Long Play Console recently acquired

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

"New Edison" 2-C Long Play Console recently acquired

Post by DGPros »

I thought to would share my newest acquisition. Though they may not be the most desirable, I always enjoy finding a rare model out in the wild. For those not up to date on this model, it was released in 1926-27 BEFORE the Shubert and Beethoven models. (I believe there were 4; 1-C with the 2 doors and smallest 100 horn and single spring, the 2-C with the 150 horn, 2 doors and grill and dbl spring. The larger 3-C and 4-C which had the dbl spring and larger 250 horn.) They were available for only one year and were marketed as the "New Edison". I think less than 17,000 of this particular model were made. The consoles had the standard reproducer and the Long Play reproducer sold with them. Edison then upgraded them to the "New Standard", later to be known as the "Edisonic" reproducer and a Long play reproducer. That's what came with this one. Supposedly this was the gentleman's father's machine and has been in storage for many years(though moved a few times)He decided to sell this along with a few other machines.(Vic II type "M" without horn,bracket and arm. Oak case is in excellent shape as is the motor) The inside of the Edison is in excellent shape, though needs a good cleaning and airing out :shock: The top is pretty worn with various markings. I have gooped it already(these pics are prior) and she seems to be cleaning up very well. The motor is strong and it seems to have all its parts. (even the grill, which has a few broken but easily to reattach pieces.The veneer is holding strong, so I have high hopes on an easier rescue with this one. Unfortunately he sold a box of records and can't locate the 2nd box, so there is still hope it will be located. I own two long play records but would like to find some of the more common issues, if there is such a thing, :lol: to try out the long play styli. Of course feel free to add, and/or correct to anything I have written.
Attachments
20171028_132935.jpg
20171028_132826.jpg
20171028_132724.jpg
20171028_132910.jpg
20171028_132731.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: "New Edison" 2-C Long Play Console recently acquired

Post by fran604g »

Wonderful Gary, congratulations! It looks as if it should clean up nicely. My 1-C had similar molding on the finish as yours does. I used goop, and finished up with some orange oil, and it came out pretty nice. Not perfect, but then neither am I. ;)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Fantastic machine! That will be a lot of fun, I'm sure. Condition doesn't look bad at all, but I do think I've encountered those white mold-looking spots before. Can take a lot of elbow grease. I think I just used a ton of goop on a Brunswick cabinet I have and it eventually came off.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

She will be porch sitting for the next day or two as she aires out, and gets cleaned out. I have done 2 passes with goop and the spots are disappearing already. Lucky the filth kept the mold away from the finish :lol: I hope to just goop and oil myself, we shall see. The interior has cleaned very well in spots so i'm hoping I can get it close to that look as possible.
Attachments
2017-10-30 16.29.45.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'm glad that you're trying to fix the console rather than just removing the LP mechanism and junking the cabinet! Most of these consoles wind up being junked like that.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

It's a nice looking machine, not that i have space for another.lol If the cabinet was in bad shape I probably would have broke it up, but this one will be worth saving. Veneer is solid. Probably going to sell my 8-12 to make room.
Frederic Bastiat

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I remember buying one of these out of an estate in 1973 for $25 chocked with a complete set of LP's and white label 52000's. It was my first exposure to electric DD's. I loved playing the electrics on it as it came with a dance reproducer in addition to the normal two. Jerry Madsen conned(LOL) me out of the LP's as I didn't have much interest in them at the time. I wish I had them now! He offered me $25 each which was a huge amount in 1973. Selling them more than paid for the machine and gave me money to buy other things!

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

DGPros wrote:She will be porch sitting for the next day or two as she aires out, and gets cleaned out. I have done 2 passes with goop and the spots are disappearing already. Lucky the filth kept the mold away from the finish :lol: I hope to just goop and oil myself, we shall see. The interior has cleaned very well in spots so i'm hoping I can get it close to that look as possible.
Your 2-C cleaned up nicely, Gary! Can you tell me the Cabinet Factory Number, please?

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hi again, Gary. Sorry to so bothersome, but also, could you snap a pic of the "Edisonic" reproducer showing the weight from underneath, and post the serial numbers of both reproducers as well?

Thank you much,
Fran

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I remember buying one of these out of an estate in 1973 for $25 chocked with a complete set of LP's and white label 52000's.
Wow! that's a long time ago! $25 was worth about $142 in 2017 dollars, so I can see why you would sell off the long play records at $142 each adjusted for inflation. Sounds like a great buy back in '73 when it was probably harder to find antique phonographs without Ebay and Craigslist around.