Photo/Diagram of Amberola 1A motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Hailey
Victor III

Photo/Diagram of Amberola 1A motor

Post by Hailey »

Good Morning.
Could some member(s) please post a photo or diagram of a 2 spring Amberola 1A motor...please??

Thanks kindly.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: Photo/Diagram of Amberola 1A motor

Post by A Ford 1 »

I would also like to see various views of the 1 A motor.
Thank you in advance,
Allen

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

I'll try and get some tomorrow. Any particular area of the motor or specific pieces?

Bill

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

rizbone wrote:I'll try and get some tomorrow. Any particular area of the motor or specific pieces?

Bill
Thanks much, Bill. Primarily a good shot of the upper works with the gear covers removed, as well as a shot of the lower works.

Thanks much!!

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Several viewing angles of the 2-4 min. mechanical linkage on the under side of the base plate. My 2-4 min device linkage has never worked well and I suspect it has been fiddled with.
Thank you in advance,
Allen

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Hailey/Allen,

You both probably already know there's an image from an original set of Edison directions showing the Amberola 1A motor in Frow's Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion, but admittedly it's not a very good image. It can be found on page 162 of the 1994 Edition.

Here are a couple of shots of the upper works with covers on and off:
amb1.JPG
amb2.JPG
Shooting the 2/4 minute linkage is problematic. Short of removing the motor, all I could do was shoot between the bedplate and the motor frame. NOTE: the linkage is set in the 2 MINUTE position in the following photos.

I apologize for the poor focus. The camera I used is auto-focus, and it wasn't happy about peering between those two big castings. This shot is from the rear, showing the linkage below the selector knob:
amb3.JPG
More apologies for poor focus... This shot is a few inches to the right (pulley side) showing the other end of the rod which shifts the gears:
amb4.JPG
Finally, here's a shot of the same area as the previous one, but from the side. Again, take note that the selector is in the 2 MINUTE position.
amb5.JPG
I hope these images will be of some help, despite their poor quality.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

And here is a picture that Santa Claus took while he was hiding inside my Amberola A1:
Attachments
P1000764.JPG

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Thanks so much for the photos.
I need one of the screws for the right gear cover, and one for the left gear cover. If there is anybody out there that could help, I would be grateful!
Thanks in advance!

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I know it is a lot to ask but could you take the device out of the cabinet and photograph the back, front, side, and plan views of the under side of the bed plate and components? I would like to see the links and levers of the 2-4 min. change device.
Thank you kindly,
Allen

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

A Ford 1 wrote:I know it is a lot to ask but could you take the device out of the cabinet and photograph the back, front, side, and plan views of the under side of the bed plate and components? I would like to see the links and levers of the 2-4 min. change device.
Thank you kindly,
Allen
Allen, the links and levers of the 2/4 minute gear are between the motor plate and the bedplate. In order to do what you ask, the selector knob, speed control knob, and lift/stop mechanism would need to be removed/disassembled - then the motor/motor plate removed. Once photos were taken, everything would need to be reassembled, and hopefully the lift/stop mechanism would still function properly (it's a delicate adjustment). If this were a Standard or a Home - or even a Triumph - the whole job could be completed in a couple of hours. However, this would be an all-afternoon job for me.

Unfortunately, for the time being, I'm physically incapable of carrying the A1 mechanism down from the third floor to my basement shop, and back up again. Once I finish PT next week (hopefully), I'll still be babying my back for awhile.

Perhaps someone out there has a bedplate/upper works currently separated from the motor, and could accommodate your request without the time and effort it would require for me to do it.

Sorry -

George P.