Help Identifiying Early Edison Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Help Identifiying Early Edison Machine

Post by phonogfp »

Oliver is correct - the shaver is present. I can't tell from the Photobucket pictures if the little cap is still there. (You can download photos directly to this web site easily, and they will be permanently hosted here.)

The little wooden swarf tray indeed looks like the original supplied with the later Class M cabinet (oak). It's not really "according to Hoyle" on a Spring-Motor, but if the original owner was shaving cylinders, he no doubt found it handy.

There's also a Tiz-It horn connector (circa 1906) and a 3-way connector for ear tubes - all of which are nice accessories.

George P.

swarggs
Victor Jr

Post by swarggs »

DSC_5619.jpg
DSC_5619.jpg (236.64 KiB) Viewed 870 times
DSC_5617.jpg
DSC_5617.jpg (213.32 KiB) Viewed 870 times
DSC_5616.jpg
DSC_5616.jpg (203.61 KiB) Viewed 870 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The little cap's there - that shaver appears complete.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

phonogfp wrote:The United States Phonograph Company plate does not list patent dates, and it's differently laid out and in different typeface. It was based in Newark, N.J. rather than New York. I could post a photo from The Talking Machine Compendium, but perhaps the OP will show a picture of the plate in question to settle the matter? :)
George, after posting that I went off to work and realized while I was driving that I was probably talking through my hat (whatever that means). :oops: Anyway, thanks for setting me straight. I am completely inexperienced in the Triumph and the Spring Motor machines. Someday I hope to have a very early Spring Motor machine, but I fear it will be a long time.

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Martin, I'm happy to be of service - as long as you'll do the same for me! ;)

George P.

swarggs
Victor Jr

Post by swarggs »

I really appreciate all of the information provided in this thread. One last question, are there many of these Class M conversions around? From what I have come across in the last few days, the Class M in its original configuration is pretty rare. Did most of them get converted to a setup similar to the one I have as the technology advanced?