the many many phonograph forums

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: the many many phonograph forums

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, apparently Mike Sutcliffe started the magazine & was one of the main contributors.
But according to the post on my board, Mr Sutcliffe died about about 3 years ago :(

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

gramophoneshane wrote:Yes, apparently Mike Sutcliffe started the magazine & was one of the main contributors.
But according to the post on my board, Mr Sutcliffe died about about 3 years ago :(
I guess that would make communication difficult.... :roll: I'm wondering if the Australian National Film and Sound Archive -- http://www.nfsa.gov.au/ -- has access to copies of the magazine, or could provide a referral? (Lot's of neat stuff on the site, in any event.)

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Steve wrote:Does anyone know what happened to carsten or edisonic or some of the other very knowledgeable sorts?
Funny how you mention those in the same breath. I know that Carsten is still miffed about a phonograph he sent to Bob (Edisonic) for repair back in '06, and never saw again. I think it went up in smoke (literally) when Bob's barn burned down last year.

AFAIK, and not to get into details, both have fallen silent through personal problems or situations, though I hope to be in contact with them soon.
Adam

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

And, by the way, a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon Dan's new site, under the same old name, and hosted by invisionfree. I don't think it's terribly active, and most of the posts seem to be started by either Dan or Phil O. I got bored with it rather quickly...
Adam

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

beaumonde wrote:And, by the way, a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon Dan's new site, under the same old name, and hosted by invisionfree. I don't think it's terribly active, and most of the posts seem to be started by either Dan or Phil O. I got bored with it rather quickly...
I find this gem from the current OTVMMB amusing only because Lexmark is an American company based in Lexington, Kentucky, not "Chi-com".

http://z13.invisionfree.com/OTVMMB/inde ... wtopic=573
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

You've really gotta hand it to Dan. He certainly thinks a shotgun is the answer to everything! :lol:

Reading someone elses diatribes will certainly make me reconsider my own posts in future. It does get a bit wearing, to say the least.

So are those Lexmark machines STILL made in the US? I thought they were 'chi-com' products, too, sorry! :roll:

Everything appears to be made in China nowadays?
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Steve wrote:So are those Lexmark machines STILL made in the US? I thought they were 'chi-com' products, too, sorry! :roll:
Not 100% sure all Lexmark products are still made in Lexington, but since it is an American company, the buck(shot) should stop here. :D

One would think a "pennypincher" would be satisfied with just a 12-gauge, wouldn't one? ;)
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

beaumonde wrote:
Steve wrote:Does anyone know what happened to carsten or edisonic or some of the other very knowledgeable sorts?
Funny how you mention those in the same breath. I know that Carsten is still miffed about a phonograph he sent to Bob (Edisonic) for repair back in '06, and never saw again. I think it went up in smoke (literally) when Bob's barn burned down last year.

AFAIK, and not to get into details, both have fallen silent through personal problems or situations, though I hope to be in contact with them soon.
so there really were two fires (one more recently, the other in a warehouse several years ago) - to two separate storage facilities of his? that's either very suspect, or terribly tragic evidence of the poorest of luck. I imagine the latter, as I can totally relate.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

brianu wrote:so there really were two fires (one more recently, the other in a warehouse several years ago) - to two separate storage facilities of his? that's either very suspect, or terribly tragic evidence of the poorest of luck. I imagine the latter, as I can totally relate.
Actually just spoke to Bob (for the first time in almost 3 years). The fire in March in his storage shed (35,000 78s also perished) was thought by the fire marshal to have been caused by errant squirrels.
Adam

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

Brianu, Sorry about you not getting a reply from a PM you sent me when your post was lost. I had thought I had responded through my iphone to you and thought I had satisfied your question.

As for Carsten, I speak to him some and he uploads a lot of youtube videos on phonographs so I know he is still very interested in the hobby (he just bought a machine from me.)