Tea Tray Company Horns & Arsenic-Based Paint

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Tea Tray Company Horns & Arsenic-Based Paint

Post by phonogfp »

When I obtained this one in 2006, I gently cleaned it with Goop/GoJo and waxed it with Johnson's Paste Wax. I would think that a coat of wax would substantially reduce whatever infinitesimally small amount of toxin (if any is indeed present) which might be transferred from horn to hands.

George P.
tthorn.jpg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

That is a beautiful horn. Red and green are often a natural combination,. If it were mine, My wife would let me put that one in the living room at Christmas, but I think it looks great any time.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote:That is a beautiful horn. Red and green are often a natural combination,. If it were mine, My wife would let me put that one in the living room at Christmas, but I think it looks great any time.
Thanks - I've always liked the green Tea Tray horns, and I was quite taken with the red roses on this one for the same reason you mentioned. They're a lovely shade of green, and it's great to see one on a Victor as Brandon posted. I could try suggesting this cylinder version be in the living room at Christmas, but I suspect my wife would point out that there are already two phonographs there! (Unfortunately, neither one can accommodate a flower horn.)

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

A fascinating short history of hazardous colors...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKfjHTk8KrY

You might want to avoid eating off of your orange Fiesta Ware dishes (uranium), vaseline glass (uranium) or other early versions of Franciscan Ware apple and rose pattern dishes which had a clear lead glaze applied...
Attachments
Vasline_glass_glowing.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Uranium glass is called 'ouraline' in France. I enjoy drinking absinthe out of an ouraline glass. It glows wonderfully in sunlight, but that's a summer phenomenon. It will be a while before I can appreciate that effect.
Attachments
ouraline_1.jpg
ouraline_1.jpg (109.2 KiB) Viewed 921 times

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Curt A wrote:A fascinating short history of hazardous colors...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKfjHTk8KrY

You might want to avoid eating off of your orange Fiesta Ware dishes (uranium), vaseline glass (uranium) or other early versions of Franciscan Ware apple and rose pattern dishes which had a clear lead glaze applied...

Yep, I have all of those things in my kitchen :lol:

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Sell - run away like the wind from all those toxins and radio-active depression glass before you turn purple :lol:

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

briankeith wrote:Sell - run away like the wind from all those toxins and radio-active depression glass before you turn purple :lol:
Boy, I'll be lucky to make it to 40 with all of this uranium, arsenic, lead, mercury, asbestos, aluminum, formaldehyde, and distilled spirits lurking in every corner. :roll:

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

phonogfp wrote:it's great to see one on a Victor as Brandon posted.
Here's the full photo - I'm the second owner and the machine was purchased from the dealer with this horn installed! I absolutely love it, even if it is slowly killing me... :lol:
IMG_8486.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Apple seeds contain relatively large amounts of cyanide. About 200 seeds finely crushed and consumed, can cause death. Really. :)

https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... -poisonous

However, the same compound responsible (apparently) for this phenomenon -- amygdalin -- is used to create a specific treatment to fight cancer.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... seeds.aspx

CAUTION: UN-VETTED SOURCES. :D

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.