*nearly* eliminating blast/rattle on Edison reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: *nearly* eliminating blast/rattle on Edison reproducers

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogfp wrote:It seems the Victor engineers took the same line of thought with the Victrola No.2 sound box gaskets. :)

George P.
Every Victrola no. 4 and HMV No. 4 I've taken apart with original gaskets was the same way. The Victrola 4 used a black gasket while the HMV used a brick red that looks like a big Victrola 2 gasket.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The other source of unwanted noise and an annoyance to me is the reproducer link that rattles in the too large holes of the stylus bar and diaphragm. I once tried dabbing a bit of silicon glue where the link passes through the hole, but that muted the sound.

I also have noticed a ringing sound that seems common to Edison disk reproducers which had metal hooks at the end of the silk cords.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

How well does this work with a model c or h reproducer? Does it make a noticeable difference? I have a model C that blasts when I play loud band recordings with it. The gaskets and diaphragm are new and the clamp ring is not too tight but, it continues to make annoying noises when I play loud recordings. On quieter records it plays great, very loud and clear. I bought some silicone rubber tubing from Mc Master Carr and intend to try this fix to see if it helps with the blasting issue.

Stephen