Columbia De Luxe Grafonola, Second Style, Odd

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Columbia De Luxe Grafonola, Second Style, Odd

Post by Django »

I have a Columbia De Luxe that doesn't match the image on page 125 of Columbia Phonograph Companion, Volume II, (or any image that I have found). Mine has much more decoration and has two Victrola style "tone doors" rather than the louvers. The machine presents well, but it seems that the original finish has been re-coated with varnish or shellac. I was curious if anyone else had one of these. I cannot find any pictures online, with louvers or tone doors. I love that weird little crank. I would like to see if the decoration on the door is correct.

Thanks,
George
Attachments
C1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c4.jpg
c5.jpg
c6.jpg

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Re: Columbia De Luxe Grafonola, Second Style, Odd

Post by Hit of the Week »

What a "Gem" that machine is, George! Thank's for letting us see it!

Iowa Dale

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Quite an impressive machine. Please consider adding it to the Featured Phonographs section of the forum. Thanks for posting the pictures. :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That crank is something else! I've never seen one quite like it. :)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Thank you for the positive comments. I will add it to the featured phonograph section next weekend. The machine still remains a mystery. Definitely not a first or third style DeLuxe, but it does not match the drawing from the Columbia Companion book for the second style either.

Any guesses? I would like to find anything about this model. Even a photo of another second style would be nice.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I knew that crank looked familiar... Now I know where the crank I used for a Regina restoration came from. I found it in a box of junk in 2014 and no one could identify what machine it was from, so I used it on my Regina which was a basket case as the crank looked cool...

Here is the post from 2014 when I completed the cabinet.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... lit=Regina
Attachments
ReginaCase-2014.jpg
ReginaCase-2014.jpg (125.11 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

audiophile102 wrote:Quite an impressive machine. Please consider adding it to the Featured Phonographs section of the forum. Thanks for posting the pictures. :D
Does anyone know how I would post this into the "Featured Phonograph" section?

Thanks

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Django wrote:
audiophile102 wrote:Quite an impressive machine. Please consider adding it to the Featured Phonographs section of the forum. Thanks for posting the pictures. :D
Does anyone know how I would post this into the "Featured Phonograph" section?

Thanks
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =4&t=16253
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The doors would date this to about 1911. Columbia was promptly hit with an injunction by Victor, which had that feature patented; so they devised the familiar "tone leaves".

Bill

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I found an add from 1912 that shows this model without the decoration on the door, (the 1912 date is stated on the auction description. I cannot confirm the published date). I have no way of knowing if my machine was built in 1911 or 1912. The carving could have been eliminated in 1912 or added at some time. I will have to add casters and replace the brass door pull with a wooden knob. Fortunately, I have a few Columbia Mahogany knobs, so the change back will be correct. I will hold off on adding this machine to the featured section. I want it to be correct before doing that, so I am adding a few more pictures here for anyone curious about this machine. Does anyone else in the forum own one?
Attachments
Columbia DeLuxe.jpg
c5.jpg
c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg