The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm
Posts: 1093
From what I can tell, all you have to do is move the lever so the knife-edge "foot" contacts with the fine-tooth gear comb (don't know what the correct terms are) -->
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 96.86 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]


The post extending down from the tonearm is positioned between the two arms so the whole lever moves along with the tonearm. (You'll hear a click-click-click sound when the foot interacts with the comb.

I think it might be helpful if a Consolette owner could post a few photos showing the brake in its proper position.

OF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:43 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 2185
Location: Delaware
Here you go. I think the brake works reasonably well once you get the hang of it. Please excuse the scratch. Looks like the cat jumped up again :o

Andreas


Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 981.32 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 201 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 939.85 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:13 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Maryland USA
alang wrote:
Here you go. I think the brake works reasonably well once you get the hang of it. Please excuse the scratch. Looks like the cat jumped up again :o

Andreas


I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)

I'm beginning to think either I have a slightly too wide in diameter platter of I need a whole lot more leather pad to make contact. Also, may have to scare up another brake. I don't even see how it's attached to the motorboard. Only screws I see are pivot screws that don't seem to be holding it onto anything.


Attachments:
IMG_0085B.jpg
IMG_0085B.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 187 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm
Posts: 1093
Columbia78 wrote:
I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)


The missing springs may be the culprit, unless the turntable is larger than 12-inches in diameter, in which case, it is not correct.

Here's how it should work --

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 158.29 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]


OrthoFan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
Victor O
phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Long island ny
hey I just rescued it's brother and sister one was an empty cabinet the other needed a new spring. Both need alot of love but for me so worth it I love the way they sound and look


Attachments:
IMG_20171112_173019.jpg
IMG_20171112_173019.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 154 times ]
IMG_20171112_172336.jpg
IMG_20171112_172336.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 154 times ]
IMG_20171112_172358.jpg
IMG_20171112_172358.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 154 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:13 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Maryland USA
OrthoFan wrote:
Columbia78 wrote:
I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)


The missing springs may be the culprit, unless the turntable is larger than 12-inches in diameter, in which case, it is not correct.

Here's how it should work --

Attachment:
Capture.JPG


OrthoFan


I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm
Posts: 1093
Columbia78 wrote:
I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?


I'd start by contacting George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonographs -- http://www.victroladoctor.com/ . He might have the springs or a complete assembly.

OrthoFan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 pm
Posts: 468
OrthoFan[/quote]

I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?[/quote]

You can find small spring assortments at Harbor Freight discount tool stores. Possibly other places, also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 pm
Posts: 1037
I restored a 4-3 and love it. Yes the brake got me as well. I had to seek help here on the forum before I got it adjusted correctly. Bill K


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:13 pm
Posts: 108
Location: Maryland USA
I've got another brake coming in the mail, also incomplete in terms of springs, I believe but maybe between the two of them I can come up with what I need, or at least see what's going wrong. Yes, I've dealt with George Vollema before and could always contact him. Thanks for all the help.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.