Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola VV-4-3 (Consolette)

Post by OrthoFan »

From what I can tell, all you have to do is move the lever so the knife-edge "foot" contacts with the fine-tooth gear comb (don't know what the correct terms are) -->
Capture.JPG
The post extending down from the tonearm is positioned between the two arms so the whole lever moves along with the tonearm. (You'll hear a click-click-click sound when the foot interacts with the comb.

I think it might be helpful if a Consolette owner could post a few photos showing the brake in its proper position.

OF

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Here you go. I think the brake works reasonably well once you get the hang of it. Please excuse the scratch. Looks like the cat jumped up again :o

Andreas
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

alang wrote:Here you go. I think the brake works reasonably well once you get the hang of it. Please excuse the scratch. Looks like the cat jumped up again :o

Andreas
I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)

I'm beginning to think either I have a slightly too wide in diameter platter of I need a whole lot more leather pad to make contact. Also, may have to scare up another brake. I don't even see how it's attached to the motorboard. Only screws I see are pivot screws that don't seem to be holding it onto anything.
Attachments
IMG_0085B.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Columbia78 wrote:I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)
The missing springs may be the culprit, unless the turntable is larger than 12-inches in diameter, in which case, it is not correct.

Here's how it should work --
Capture.JPG
OrthoFan

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

hey I just rescued it's brother and sister one was an empty cabinet the other needed a new spring. Both need alot of love but for me so worth it I love the way they sound and look
Attachments
IMG_20171112_173019.jpg
IMG_20171112_172336.jpg
IMG_20171112_172358.jpg

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

OrthoFan wrote:
Columbia78 wrote:I notice mine is missing a spring, and another spring looks real iffy. Also the brake pad comes nowhere near contacting the platter edge. But if it did, there is nothing to keep it free of the platter while playing. The big spring just pulls it back against the stop (if it were making contact it would, at least.)
The missing springs may be the culprit, unless the turntable is larger than 12-inches in diameter, in which case, it is not correct.

Here's how it should work --
Capture.JPG
OrthoFan
I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Columbia78 wrote:I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?
I'd start by contacting George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonographs -- http://www.victroladoctor.com/ . He might have the springs or a complete assembly.

OrthoFan

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

OrthoFan[/quote]

I think the missing spring, and a weak spring on the lever with the teeth may be causing the problem. Now I need to either come up with a source for the little springs or try to locate another autobrake assembly intact. Any idea where I can go to find this sort of thing?[/quote]

You can find small spring assortments at Harbor Freight discount tool stores. Possibly other places, also.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I restored a 4-3 and love it. Yes the brake got me as well. I had to seek help here on the forum before I got it adjusted correctly. Bill K

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

I've got another brake coming in the mail, also incomplete in terms of springs, I believe but maybe between the two of them I can come up with what I need, or at least see what's going wrong. Yes, I've dealt with George Vollema before and could always contact him. Thanks for all the help.