Desparate - NYC/Philly area repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vintagevt
Victor Jr

Desparate - NYC/Philly area repair

Post by vintagevt »

So, I stupidly bought a rough C150 Edison years ago, which was mostly but not quite functional for just over a couple hundred. A few years later and it's still not working b/c despite our good intentions we both have full-time jobs and multiple hobbies and don't have the time or energy to devote to fixing it up. I'm looking for a repairman in the Philly-NYC area. I'm willing to drive to drop it off to get it working. It's all original except for the grill, which was recreated by the former owner. Only other exception is right now it has a Victrola-esque arm and needle on it and no original Edison arm and diamond stylus. I know these aren't proper terms but I'm a swing dancer who honestly just wanted to play vintage music on an old machine, so please forgive my technical linguistic failures.

Victor VI

Re: Desparate - NYC/Philly area repair

Post by 52089 »

It would be helpful to know exactly what's not working. Motor parts for a C-150 are very common and easy to work with. A lot of us could diagnose remotely and send you whatever you need.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi vintagevt!

Welcome to the board! I well understand the "not enough time" issue. I've had that issue from time to time myself. Although, I can't advise you about mechanics close to you, how about posting some photos so we can see what you're up against? You could even refer any potential mechanic to this thread so they can get an idea of what you'll need. They're a lot of good folks here who can give you good advice. (Sometimes even my advice is good.:mrgreen: ) In any case, good luck with your project!

Martin

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

Well, from what my novice self can tell we have a few issues...

One, the entire brake leather piece is completely MIA. So the braking mechanism doesn't work at all.

Two, the governor and what not seems to work OK, but there is a vertical rod that supports the horn and all but something is off with it. I can post video on YouTube if that helps.

Three, the entire arm piece with the needle is bad and gunked up and needs replaced. But that's an easy fix. I'd like to get both a working Victrola and Edison arm (is that even the proper term?) and needle/stylus.

I'm sorry, I'm neither technical or experienced at this, which is why I was looking for a repairman. In reality I should have payed more and bought a fully functional one, but I felt bad for this one so here I am.

Our biggest issue, brake aside, is the issue with the rod that supports the horn.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

vintagevt wrote:Well, from what my novice self can tell we have a few issues...

One, the entire brake leather piece is completely MIA. So the braking mechanism doesn't work at all.

Two, the governor and what not seems to work OK, but there is a vertical rod that supports the horn and all but something is off with it. I can post video on YouTube if that helps.

Three, the entire arm piece with the needle is bad and gunked up and needs replaced. But that's an easy fix. I'd like to get both a working Victrola and Edison arm (is that even the proper term?) and needle/stylus.

I'm sorry, I'm neither technical or experienced at this, which is why I was looking for a repairman. In reality I should have payed more and bought a fully functional one, but I felt bad for this one so here I am.

Our biggest issue, brake aside, is the issue with the rod that supports the horn.
Replacing the brake leather is a very easy fix. The simplest way would be to just swap in a complete brake mechanism with good leather. That requires removing and reinstalling 2 screws.

Adjusting the vertical rod supporting the horn should also be simple if nothing's broken. My guess is that the 2 square head bolts that grip the horn shaft have come loose. Adjusting this to work properly is about a 10 minute fix (if indeed that's the problem.) Please do post a video so we can see what's not working properly.

A working Edison reproducer with a good diamond stylus will run around $100 or so. A properly rebuilt one will be more. A working lateral adapter (what you call a "Victrola arm") is in the same price range.

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

So this is what happens when you push the lever down on top... the whole rod comes out...

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

This is how it currently plays, bad record and reproducer and all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcz4v9sVq_E

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

Ignore the useless zoom in at the end...

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Ah - the broken horn tube. Many of us have encountered that, I'll bet. The tube fits inside that casting at the bottom; lapping by about a quarter-inch. It's a relatively simple fix involving either solder (but of course that will damage the paint) or an adhesive. I'd recommend JB Weld. After that, the horn tube may or may not need adjusting.

Your C 150 is playing a bit slowly. If the speed control is set to "80" and the motor (especially the governor) has been properly lubricated, your speed controller may need adjustment. This is all pretty easy stuff, and I'm sure someone near Philly will see this and offer you some help.

George P.

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

I double checked and it's definitely set to 80. But I have no idea how to lube or fix the speed issue.

I'm not sure if I want to cry or not that you all think it has no major issues but I personally can't fix any of them. lol