Desparate - NYC/Philly area repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Desparate - NYC/Philly area repair

Post by Lucius1958 »

vintagevt wrote:tbh... I just want to throw money at all of it... lol Anyone, Bueller?

I mean, I gather you all are technical folks and I'm like dummy English/Psych minor over here... I couldn't lube/adjust the governor if I tried at this point. I'm not dumb, I could learn, but I'm hardly technically inclined naturally.

Good Lord, this is like a whole new hobby I don't have time for (I already dance, do gymnastics and ski). Please tell me my 90s photo developing skill translate to 20s phonograph repair? No??? Crap.
I'm hardly a techie (I act, do artwork, and try to make music); but I do tinker around occasionally. Once you get a basic knowledge of the way things work, and the basic tools you need, you can, with a little patience, get these machines working properly. That's what Reiss's book is for.

As for "throwing money at it", there are a number of good restorers & suppliers listed in the Resources section; and other members will gladly point you in the right direction.

Bill

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

Thanks for the info and replies. We're taking it up to Binghamton, NY next weekend to a shop to get it up and running again. I appreciate all the advice. Sorry if I came across as callous to any DIY advice, I'm just already over-extended between my job and multiple hobbies at this point in my life.

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Don't give up!

The first time I fixed a record player like these I got so frustrated I nearly sold off the motor and parts, then burned the case for firewood. But I decided not to. The Victrola stayed put, intact, and I just went ahead and restored it. I did the motor and the soundbox first, so I could listen to Paul Whiteman's jazz band while polishing the case--lazy man's logic.

You mentioned it was already refinished. They already did the hard part for you! At least it will look nice in the house, more the way Thomas Edison intended. As far as the reproducer, go ahead and put a wanted ad here; a lot of people have parts stashed away. You'll love it when it's restored.

I'm doing an Edison Amberola 30 right now--a cheapie cylinder player from 1915-'29. It was cheap when new, looks like junk, and plays like garbage. But one little bit here and there will add up. Is it cheap? Nope. Easy? Never. Rewarding--try finishing up a repair, then put on a record, sit back with a period-correct book, and listen in. It's more than audio, it's time travel.

Good luck!
Honestly, this gave me a good laugh. The other night I was ready to stick it on the curb with a free to good home sign. lol

vintagevt
Victor Jr

Post by vintagevt »

brianu wrote:Knowing your more specific location would help... the philly/NYC area is pretty large. I’m just outside Philadelphia in south jersey and would be happy to take a look at your machine if you’re close.

And not to sound preachy or whatever, but patience is often rewarded in a hobby like this, when it comes to finding the right thing, or particularly when looking to restore something the right way. That said, I can certainly understand the impulse to have something now, right away, that needs nothing further than someone to appreciate and use it. But if that’s your situation, it might be more prudent to just pay a little more for something that’s already been cleaned up and restored, ideally by someone who knows what he or she is doing.
I really appreciate your offer and when I'm in a less hectic point in my life, I'd love to learn how to maintain this myself for sure. And if you're still around and local at that point, I'd love any pointers you have and can give. I'll def purchase the book other folks recommended for maintenance and info and what not and try to read up for sure. I'm sorry if I just got frustrated the other night and if I came across as rude at all. In reality, yes, I wish I had purchased a fully functioning machine. This was advertised as such but for stupid cheap, and when I saw it, I recognized it wasn't really fully functioning... but I'm a collector of sad, broken things so I thought "I will save this machine!" lol And here I am.