Herzog Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
victorthesixth
Victor I

Herzog Cabinet

Post by victorthesixth »

How does one safely ship larger furniture such as this?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Herzog Cabinet

Post by HisMastersVoice »

How are you shipping it, first of all? Fedex? Freight? The back of some random guy's truck?

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

I am thinking of selling one. Not sure yet. I am just researching options.

Thanks

Victor6

gregks
Victor Jr

Post by gregks »

I have had great results with Greyhound Package Express. If you live near a city that has a Greyhound Express Storefront, you can drop off the item and the recipient can pick it up. If you would rather have it picked up at your address and or delivered to an address, they will do that also. Cheapest method is for you to drop it off and the recipient to pick it up. Fee increases from there. You'll have to have it securely packed.

I have had two Edison record cabinets I purchased shipped to me that way. They were pretty large, each will hold 160 Diamond Disc records. One had glass panels in the two doors, the other was solid panels. Neither was damaged at all.

Here is a link to their FAQ page.

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/e/Pages/faq.aspx#Ship_Q01

Greg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

You might consider offering it for sale with local pick-up as the method of transfer first. Shipping always has some risk and adds to the overall cost. Where are you located and what type of Herzog cabinet is it? You may find interest in the Yankee Trader section this forum. It is a good question that you ask. I hate crating things and freight can be a hassle. It would be nice to know the best way to ship those large items.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I have had REALLY good luck with Greyhound. I shipped 6-8 cylinder cabinets (mostly to one person) from Iowa to San Diego and usually if I sent them on Saturday morning, they were out there on Sunday afternoon, on Monday at the latest. I just wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in a heavy cardboard box with extra cardboard on the corners so they were protected. Usually on the corners I got were that really hard cardboard they use on appliances. Greyhound uses they large trays that slide under the bus, and they really don't have to handle things very much once it's in the system. It's not like they are on and off loading docks or having to ride on conveyor belts. I used to ship treadle sewing machines that way also, but I don't think they will take stuff that large anymore. A couple of small pump organs, and one large Nipper dog as well. You just have to make sure that the person on the other end knows they have to come to the bus terminal to pick it up and figure out which one they want to pick it up at.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I checked your profile to see where you are located because there is a fairly good network of collectors that travel to and from various sales. I think it's the safest way to get things around the country.

Jerry Blais (Albany, Oregon - I wish we all had our general locations in our profile.)

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

Thanks everyone. I am just thinking about options in case I need to sell down the road.

Victor6

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

ok...