Any Tefifon fans here?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Any Tefifon fans here?

Post by 52089 »

I realize it's a bit more modern than our usual interests, but I just acquired my first Tefifon. For the 99% of us (outside Germany) who have never seen a Tefifon, it's a kind of tape player that was popular, primarily in Germany, in the 1950s and 1960s. The tapes are quite unusual in they actually have grooves, much like a record. The best English language explanation of the Tefifon comes from the Youtube "techmoan" channel:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBNTAmLRmUg[/youtube]

The Tefifon I bought is a portable model in need of minor servicing and cleanup. The selector mechanism only goes about halfway through the tape and the motor is a bit noisy. If anyone can help with this, or perhaps recommend someone in the USA who knows more about these than I do, please get in touch.

And if you're a Tefifon fan, or maybe somehow have Tefi cartridges to sell or trade, then please drop me a note!

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Any Tefifon fans here?

Post by Skihawx »

What do you do for a 50Hz?? Were there 6o Hz models built??

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Interesting machine... kind of like playing a 100ft long indestructible cylinder...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

A guy in Austria is selling his huge collection, but also selling en detail i think.

Found on "Austrian Craigslist" willhaben:

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und ... 226618168/

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Skihawx wrote:What do you do for a 50Hz?? Were there 6o Hz models built??
I have tested mine on 110V US household current using a 220V up converter without issues, but I haven't specifically corrected for 50/60 Hz. I'm still working out how to connect the output to an amplifier but hope to be able to do that soon. Even without an amp I can still hear some of the music as it plays.

Yes, there were 60 Hz models built. Westrex sold these briefly in the mid-60s in the USA, but those are very rare. Here's a US model in action:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co9LK8EI_Xc[/youtube]

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

I'm fascinated by the Tefifon, but I haven't the money to get one. I always thought they would be amazing in automobiles, instead of the filthy "Highway Hi-Fi".
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wow, what an interesting device! I've never seen or heard of such a thing and now I am really intrigued! Seems there is always something new to search for! :roll:

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I bought one in Germany, it looks new, but I could not get around yet to connect it to an amplifier. It actually works not as a magnetic tape, but as a disc, with a needle that vibrates with the grooves inscribed on the tape. The Techmoan video was actually what informed about this interesting device. These players and associated music cassetes are often sold in German Ebay, some German friends told me they were more or less popular in Germany in the 50s-60s.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi,
Very interesting play back system. It takes more volume to store than disks per hour of music but has the advantage of the constant linear speed of the cylinder.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi,
Very interesting play back system. It takes more volume to store than disks per hour of music but has the advantage of the constant linear speed of the cylinder.
Yes and no. The normal cartridges play for roughly an hour, but Tefi made a larger cartridge that would play for four hours(!) There are also 15 minute cartrdges and "short" tapes, essentially the equivalent of "singles", but these require a special adapter to play.